Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Saint's Day



Here in Spain, people get to receive two more gifts in a year aside from birthday and Christmas. There's also gift giving on the day of Three Kings. Although with more practical family, everybody would just agree on exchanging gifts on either Christmas day or Three Kings.
And then there's what they call Saint's Day. It is very common for people here to have a name based on the name of a Saint. So the feast day of that Saint whose name is carried upon by someone is also celebrated aside from the birthday. Then the person gets to receive gifts! How fun.

So why am I talking about this. Well, since in the Philippines we don't celebrate this, I do not have a Saint's day. In my family-in-law's house, they do celebrate this. Obviously each one has their Saint's day except me. Everyone including Little Spanish Pinay. I feel marginated. Hmpf.

Good thing we have given Little Spanish with two names. And what a very good cooincidence since her padrino's birthday (Sept 30) is St. Sofia's feast day! So, we'll get to celebrate this day twice as fun. Yay!

::padrino is godfather in Spanish. 
 
As of me, maybe I'll start to look for my own Saint... Our Lady of Lourdes maybe. That's Febuary 11. Now it's just a matter of getting people used to this idea. Or not. Sigh.


1 comment:

  1. Febuary 11... setting up my calendar's appointments... : )

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...