Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cassava Cake

This motherhood thing rocks.  Of course there are times that tiredness brought my mommy tasks kills me at night but the wonderful moments sends those difficult moments to trash.  One of the things that motherhood is doing to me is that I am conquering my fears.  I feel more daring and brave to try new things out or learn new things that I never dared to learn before.  I've already mentioned before that I never dared to bake before as I see it too complicated for my cooking ability (or lack thereof)... but something in me says for my Little Spanish Pinay, it will be really wonderful if I learn how to bake.  I'm sure she'd love the thought that mami prepared something yummy for her with all mami's love and effort.  And one day, we can bake together and it will be awesome.

Big deal some might say, right?  For me, ya bet it is!  I'm shallow like that.  Ok, so enough of the intro.  This post is sounding like it has nothing to do with the title. Duh.  Let's go down to the grain.  I was able to cook cassava cake!  And I am sooo happy.  It was sumptuous and just like how it is made in the Philippines.  Even better than some I have tried.  I found this very nice and easy to follow recipe from Panlasang Pinoy. Love this site as it even has step by step video for each recipe.  What's more, is that the host/cook speaks in Filipino.  Cool, ayt? (cool for us Filipinos ;-) )

A little background on what's cassava cake:  This is an all-time favorite Filipino dessert or merienda for many in the Philippines.  Made with cassava or yuca, as what Latin Americans call this wooden shrub.  In our native language, it is called bungang-kahoy.  I always thought it is difficult to do but it wasn't at all! When I saw some cassava in one of the supermarket, I couldn't believe mah big eyes. I even doubted if it is THE cassava that we use in the Phiilppines to do cassava cake.  Then I felt kind of sad thinking even if it is THE cassava,  I didn't think I can make cassava cake.  Boy, was I wrong.  So now, without further ado, here are some photos of my first ever cassava cake.

I didn't have a baking tray big enough and i tried to stuff all the batter in this baking tray... I thought it will overflow.  I never stopped looking at the oven while biting my nails.

Done with topping.  Well done.  Too well done,  I think hee.  
Never mind the seemingly burnt part, ok? Promise it is really sumptuous inspite of the look ;-)

I topped it with grated cheese hopping the burnt part will be covered.  
But no, it didn't work. Can't blame a girl for trying, right?

And I just gotta try it first before letting hubby try it... one bite, and I was brought back to my years in the Philippines.  My beloved Philippines.

See how motherhood rocks? :-D




this shall be my entry for Fun with Food Friday hop!

6 comments:

  1. damn i wish i could cook too. the only thing i'm good at is codes, and while it brings food to the table, i still wish i am more of the traditional mom who cooks wonderful meals for her family.

    good luck on your future baking attempts. your cassava cakes looks heavenly from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Yum! looks great! That is a MUST try soon.
    Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm!!! Looks delish!

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking is one of my biggest kitchen frustrations, I can never seem to follow the rules. Kudos to you! It looks so yummy and I can feel my tummy grumbling now;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! I love it warm or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM that cassava cake looks really good, my mum makes a different version (but we are not Filipino) with sugar and grated cassava and coconut cream....so fragrant the house smells like it. Nothing like mum's cooking. Your little Pinay will love your baking and food!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...