Friday, May 20, 2011

Why is Breastfeeding Becoming a Challenge Nowadays?


I do not intend to answer this question as they are my very own question and really haven't found the exact answer.

Nowadays, one of mom-to-be's worries is if she will be able to breastfeed her baby and for how long.  I for one, was worried about this when I was pregnant.  I so wanted to be able to breastfeed.  My mom was able to breastfeed all 6 of us minimum of 2 yrs and I've always found it so amazing seeing my mom breastfeed my younger siblings (I'm second to the eldest).  As I became more aware of the almost uncountable benefits of breastfeeding, all the more I swore that I will do everything in my power to be able to breastfeed once I am blessed with a child.  Inspite of the common obstacles, I am glad I am able to stick through it and still enjoying breastfeeding for about 13 months now.

But reflecting about this, breastfeeding is supposed to be something so innate to women that it shouldn't be difficult for us to do it, or it isn't?  Women are made to breastfeed as they are made to pro-recreate.  But why women are now doubting this innate ability? It has become something like a learned skill that not many can learn and master. 

I've read some articles about breastfeeding that there are indeed cases of women that are not able to breastfeed at all - a form of abnormality but is a very rare case not something happening with 2 out of 3 women.  And yet, just by looking around women we know, there are really lots of cases that no matter how mommies tried, very less milk comes out.  So what's going on? Is this abnormality that studies declare that is not very rare to women become common?  When a pregnant women - even a frst time soon-to-be-mom -is asked: "are you planning to breastfeed?" The normal answer is "yes, If I can."  Why is there a dbout about it?

Isn't that with all the accesible information we have around about breastfeeding it would be even easier for us to do be able to do this without us feeling insecure or questioning our own ability to breastfeed?  Or perhaps modernization is pullling women out farther away from their natural instinct?  If we compare women from underdeveloped countries, there are way more women that are able to breastfeed than from the more advanced countries.  Considering women from the advanced countries have far better chances of education and all.  Does that mean education is reversely proportional to the ability to breastfeed? Or maybe it is the "equality between men and women" that everyone always talk about and demand for that's now in-abling us from the our natural ability to breastfeed? Equality? What am I talking about - you might ask.  It comes to my mind because these days, more and more women are fighting to be able to work and not be bound inside the four walls of their house.  "Because women are not just for staying at home or taking care of kids or cleaning the house but also be able to do what men do - like earn dough for the family".  Isn't that part of the equality we so fight for ever since I don't know when?  Yes, women have become successful and finding a place for them in every facet of industry even excelling and making a big difference.  But then their duty at home never changed nor got lessened.  And then we have to pay the price of not being able to spend as much time as we want with our children or family...  after a month or so most women would have to go back to work and leave their babies in the care of someone else... and with work, continuing to breastfeed poses a bigger challenge and many if not most, would end up leaving breastfeeding behind.

I might not be making any sense from everything I've babbled here but I keep wondering about these things.  And it makse me sad that many women who do wants to breastfeed, end up having to stop it abruptly.  Now, I know that that there are women that chooses not to breastfeed from the very beginning and that is a different story not to mention that I respect that decision.  Breastfeeding is a personal choice.  No woman should be forced to it no matter how big the benefits it can give for both the mom and the baby. And most importantly, no woman should be just by choosing not to breastfeed.  But what I believe is that all women should be given the chance to know and understand all the benefits (not just economically because that is only secondary) that breastfeeding can give plus receive all the necessary support from the society and the government.

What I am glad about is that there are growing groups now that are promoting breastfeeding, providing free support and information to moms.  I do wish them more power and that they may be able to continue and extend their help to even more women out there.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! It was like I was reading my own thoughts. I am currently nusing a two year old and I cannot understand the diffuclty or doubt about breastfeeding. What disturbs me more are the poeple who put breastfeeding into a category of "disgusting." Society is the problem with all the people who think breasts=sex and nursing a child is gross and should be hidden. Until we can change that view point, breastfeeding mothers will never feel the support that will make breastfeeding second nature.

    Crystal
    http://kennedymomandwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Crystal. You are absolutely right... there are even people who categorize breastfeeding as disgusting especially during extended period of breastfeeding... and I just dont understand that.

    Kudos to you for being able to breastfeed a two-year old! I am all for child-led weaning so we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank's for your comment received at http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com about the wedding anniversary:) Now, following you in GFC. Hope you can visit again and follow me back:) Thank's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i breastfed my daughter until she was two years old even when it seemed i had no milk. i am so glad i did not give up. she is now a wonderful 21 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh.. I love the ramblings. Reminds me of me - and all things that I've been thinking about. I exclusively breastfeed and plan to until at least when I go back to work (my mat leave is a year long) and I love it. We had a tough go at first with inverted nipples and using a breast shield, but I was so set on BFing, that I wasn't going to give up. And I didn't. Yay!

    I do find it interesting about how two of my close friends had to stop BF because they were not producing enough milk. Many of them pumped like mad and took medication and met with lactation consultants, but their babes weren't gaining weight. Both felt as though they failed their babies - but they try.

    I don't understand those that don't even try. It is everyone's choice and I respect that, but I just don't get it. I can see it being more difficult (in the US especially) where moms have to go back to work as early as 6 weeks postpartum and they have to be creative about pumping etc. But i've heard people say they aren't going to try BF because they want other people to be able to bond by feeding the baby.... [hello!]

    I am lucky to have found a local La Leche group in my town (and a variety of bloggers!)- who have been nothing but supportive!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...