Tuesday, January 31, 2012

21 Months

21 months - just 3 more months and she's gonna be 2.  I know this phrase is already overused but really, how time flies.   The last time I have updated about Little Spanish Pinay's development was when she was 15months.  Half a year passed and I haven't written anything about her growth progress?  I do have to remind myself of the very reason why this blog was born...

Anyways, I better start working on this because 6 months is a lot of time for a flashback. 

Motor skills

She's a bottomless fountain of energy.  She runs... she climbs... oh dear, does she climb? She clilmbs anywhere! And gets mami's heart skip a beat but at the same time swell with pride everytime I see her able to climb to the top of whatever.  She gets really, really happy about that achievement so mami is there to support and be happy for her too. Around 18 months, she develop the guts to launch herself on a slide too.  She loves slides every since but mami normally holds her from the top to the bottom of the slide (mami is a bit of a helicopter mom, I tell you) but now she'd excitedly throw herself down the slide and we all get shrieks and claps and muy biens!! (very good!!).

video

She's algo getting better and better with her lego.  I get fascinated with how those little hands put each pieces together.  Sometimes when she can't fit two pieces together at once, she'd apply a tremendous force that you'd see her hands tremble.  She thinks that by applying pressure, the pieces would fit better. It's hilarious.

She loves writing too.  She loves drawing.  She'd ask you what would you like for her to draw.  Tell her anything your heart desires as she would willingly and excitedly do it.  You want a drawing of a house? you got it.  You want a picasso? You got it.  Just be ready to take out your most vivid imagination because I tell you, she draws in abstract form ;-)

one of her work of art


Little Ms. Busy on her writing 
She has also started showing interest on doing a lot of things on his own.  "Tala sola! Tala sola!" (Tala on her own! Tala on her own!) is frequently heard in our household.  She wants to do things on her own, her way.  She loves to take off her clothes alone but hasn't showed interest yet on putting her clothes on her own.  Because she simple prefers to be naked. But then once she's all dressed up and looking pretty, she loves to admire herself in the mirror.

Have I mentioned that she loves to dance?  Oh boy, this little girl has good rythm and a beat of her own!  I am leaving a few videos of her and be the judge :)

video


video


Reading Habit


Does she love reading? Oh, she's passionate about it! She loves to read anything from books to magazines to uhm, brochures. Yeah, brochures with tons and tons of pictures in it. It's also really funny how she'd pretend reading the words - she reads in her own language.

video
Go ahead and interpret what she says

Language

She talks a lot! This part is really my favorite as this is beyond what I have expected. I have readied myself for a little bit of speech delay because she's learning 2 languages at the same time but she has actually started showing confidence about talking as early as I can't remember. She doesn't hesitate about expressing herself verbally even if she hasn't mastered the word yet or even if they come out like garbled words. She doesn't hesitate to tell us the whole story either even if what she can only say is btthhhh bzzzzz thhhh. At 18months (yeah, this month is where most of the her bigger milestones started), she has started constructing 2-word phrases and by the time we were in the Philippines, she started talking in real phrases. She has this favorite hello kitty candy lipstick and one day, while at my parent's house she started calling me frantically. I was talking to my sisters and my mom at that time so I'd just glance at her from time to time acknowledging her call. But she kept on calling me and started saying mami, kitty, muffy, come (ko-me). The series of words she just said caught my attention and when I tried to check what's going on, I realized what she was trying to tell me. Her hello kitty candy lipstick fell on the floor and muffy (my parent's dog) was eating it! Everybody realized what has just happened and started laughing and of course blaming me for not paying attention to Little Spanish Pinay before.

I don't think she knows yet that she is talking in two different languages. She cannot differentiate the words just yet which ones are Filipino and which ones are Spanish. She understands Filipino perfectly but before, I notice that she prefer to speak more in Spanish than in Filipino but lately, she's talking and learning more Filipino words. Our one month Philippine vacation really helped a lot too. It hilarious when we were in the Philippine airport (NAIA) and she saw a baby boy sleeping in his stroller. She suddenly said "GISING!!" (wake up!!) in her loudest voice. She totally cracks me up.

She loves to sing in both Filipino and Spanish (and a little bit of English songs from Mama Mia the movie). Her love for singing is so apparent that sometimes even if it's her first time to hear my invented song, she'd sing a long with me and would repeat whatever word (or word ending) she catches. About 3 2-3 months ago, she'd normally just sing the last word of every line of the song but it's totally different now. Depending on the song, sometimes she is able to sing all the main words within a line - i.e without the articles. For instance she'd say "... colores... bonitos... colores... alegres" instead of "los colores son bonitos, los colores son alegres"

We sing from the beginning of our day to practically the end of our day.  Below are some of her videos singing.  Just don't mind me singing in the background please... and don't make fun of me.


video
Singing Bahay Kubo


video
Makulay ang buhay sa sinabawang gulay featuring Little Spanish Pinay's falceto voice
side note: Never mind the place where the video is taken.


Food

She's not a big eater. She has never been. Although she has days when she has more appetite to eat than any other day. She loves rice, meat (including that of rabbit! yes, ladies and gentlemen, she eats rabbit), vegetables (especially leafy vegetables), potatoes, oatmeal, select fruits (she's recently learned she is crazy for strawberries), bread, cookies, chocolates, ice cream and a lot of junk fun foods. She loves coffee (ooops) and tea. We don't give her a cup of coffee to drink of course so lower those eyebrows and take it easy on me, k? I got her this cereal drink that tastes like coffee but is far from coffee. This cereal drink is used by people who for any health reasons, can't drink coffee but still want to enjoy something that is coffee-like in taste. Also, from time to time I let her sip from my cup of decaf coffee... that is when she begs for it. You know, I don't exactly offer it to her. Am I sounding like a guilty mama explaining herself now?

We still breastfeed and it shows how attached she is to it up to now. But within the day, she's asking for it less and less already. Most of the days, she wouldn't even ask for it from the moment she wakes up, till her nap time in the afternoon. So that's really a big change (or improvement). When she gets really tired though, or gets hurt or upset about something, she'd run for mami and boobies to the rescue!

Sleeping Habit

She's a late sleeper - what else to expect from parents who took after owls. She does get her daily dose of enough sleep though as she sleeps from 10-12hours during the night and another 1-2 hours nap in the afternoon.

She still wakes up at night 2-3 times to nurse or to just cuddle. So, co-sleeping is still helping us on this area but this little girl is growing up so fast and moving tons on her sleep that it gets complicated to sleep at times. If I don't have her feet on my head, her papi has them. Her favorite position is to get horizontal on the bed so we form a letter H. It's a comedy, I tell you.

One of her crazy sleeping positions
Social Skills

She's gets shy at the beginning in front of the strangers especially adults. But with kids, she's the first one to get closer and say hello. She would introduce herself which I find really, really adorable. The other day, we went to McDonalds and sat on the play area. She was the only kid there at the beginning but later on, a girl about 10yrs old or so came in and started playing too. Little Spanish Pinay's eyes lit up with happiness (she loves seeing kids) and started telling me there's a little girl. Then she started calling the girl on top of her lungs Neeena!!! Neeeena!!!. The two crews who were cleaning the area and us had a good laugh. At the beginning the girl was kind of shy to go near her but LSP followed here everywhere and kept saying hello to her. Finally, the girl gave in and they played together. LSP is to be a social butterfly.

Potty

Still a long way to go I must say.  She's doing good on the poo department.  She tells us whenever she needs to poo and then we sit her on the toilet bowl so she can do her business.  But on the pee department, she's kind of lazy to tell us before she goes.  I would normally catch her with some gestures that tells me she needs to go but she hasn't really tried to tell us if she's going.  Most of the times, she'd tell me after the accident already happened.  There was a period that she can already control her pee at night until the following morning when she wakes up but it looks like we're back to step 1 again on that.  I am really hoping that in the next months, we'll improve more on that.  The best part is that we already know that she's very comfortable seated on the toilet bowl or on the potty - that's a big step right there already.  

This is how you do potty with style
Temperament

She's quite a strong character but with a big heart.  She's shy at the beginning and very very observant.  Once she's all comfortable, she becomes one big clown.  She is very compassionate and affectionate.  But when she gets mad, she can throw even her most loved and cared dolls named Paola and Georgie.   She has learned to say thank you and please and I swear, I melt everytime I hear her say that especially those moments without us prompting her to say so.  She has also recently leaned to say sorry with so much emotion.  There's really no way one won't forgive her with her sweet little voice and eyes half closed saying sorry. 

be scared, be very scared...

big hug for her favorite cat


One of the many animals she likes... she calls them tupa.

I so love the tenderness of this picture. 
She told me she'll hold Paola's hand so she won't be scared.
This is exactly what I do for her whenever she cries on her carseat. 
I tell her I'll hold her hand and things should be ok.  I was so moved when she did the same to her doll knowing that the same gesture gives her comfort.

Others

She loves animals and she knows many of their names in both Filipino and Spanish.  She loves to immitate the sounds of each animals and she's quite good at it ;-).  She loves to play hide and seek.  She would hide and tell me "Mami, Tala no esta..." (Mami, Tala is not here...).  It's funny.  She would also try to hide but you'd hear her squeal before you even try to find her.  She loves cartoons and some of her faves are Caillou, Peppa Pig, Dora (not so much lately), Mickey, Noddy, Postman Pat, Arthur and a looot more.  Her most favorite though is Caillou and Peppa Pig. 

Happy 21st month, mi vida! You are so beautiful inside and out.

23 comments:

  1. i enjoyed watching her videos, so cute, smart and talendted LSP. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks michi! Poor quality lang ang videos kasi sa phone lang :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow she is doing very we for her age, she seems so advanced. She is super adorable! Can't believe she's learning 2 languages! Way to go mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daisy! I'm not really sure if she's advanced but one thing is for sure, I really can't keep up with her energy. Hubby and I both agreed she should learn my mother tongue too so I just try to speak to her in my language and the rest of the people here in Spanish. Hopefully she'll learn english too down the road :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I envy your detailed record of her growth and progress. Btw, I think you might still be needing good reads on What to expect on toddlers, So im inviting you to join:
    http://www.mommytots.com/2012/01/what-to-expect-book-review-and-giveaway.html#more

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best to record these things but you see, I still miss a lot on so many things and I am not very consistent :) I'm heading towards your blog to check your giveaway out :)

      Delete
  4. LSP is such a talented baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet! It's amazing how different girls are from boys developmentally. Little Bit just hit two and he is forming some simple sentences. He is also just starting to dance. Girls really hit the road running developmentally. She is a beautiful Little Spanish Pinnay. I adore the videos! Thanks for sharing your beautiful girl with us :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of people tell me that it's not good to talk to Kelly in different languages (Spanish, English, and Filipino). They said it would confuse her and delay her speech. Seeing from Tala's milestones, it's not bad at all! :) I'm thinking of putting in a little Portuguese and Russian eventually too, but would that be too much? I want her to be multilingual! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and very smart tala! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable!

    my Firstborn had the privilege of recorded milestones, too:-). how i wish i have the same time and energy for my Second-born:-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I'm glad to read you're teaching her both languages. I'm sure she would appreciate that when it comes to being in school and in her profession later on. You seem to have your hands full by being so busy with a very active toddler. Don't worry, she'll be more active as the years go by, hahaha :) And of course you'll never get a moment's rest. But keep having fun and get tons of pictures.
    Have a great week,
    Barbara
    Spanish4Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sa age nya napakarami nya ng alam! At talagang pati ang brochures binabasa. hehehe! Supercute ng mga photos lalo na yung potty with style. lol! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like development is on track! My daughter held her crayons the same way when she was that age :)

    The Twerp & I

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is so cute and precocious! She is growing up so fast. Hang on to these memories...they're priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My son is 16 and this reminds me of when he was young. he used to sleep horizontally too and we formed an H! Enjoy your time with tala, they grow up so fast, too fast! Yesterday my son went to his first prom (he's invited to 3 more this month!) and he looked so grown up in his suit! But I still call him my baby (under my breath!) Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! Tala is such a bibo girl! I'm looking forward to meeting her one day, and maybe Tala & Poj could do a duet coz they both love to sing =) Duet to the tune of.... Bahay Kubo? lol At pareho din sila ng sleeping position, haha!
    She's learning so much & growing up so fast, too. Ang cute ng mga smiles nya & she is very smart & eager to learn.
    Lapit na ang 2nd birthday ni Tala. At pareho sila ni Tita na April, hehe =)
    You both must be so proud of your sweet little princess. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ang cute ni LSP. unfortunately i can't see the vids! blocked kasi dito sa office. but will make time to check them out when i get to an internet shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ang cute!!! Nice to listen to hear singing those ad jingles from here.. :) and the ways she holds her pencil or crayons... cool :)keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...