Friday, February 10, 2012

Making it happen...

Motherhood is really giving me more desire to learn to become even more domisticated (*clears throat*).  I learned to pour my heart out on cooking, I conquered my fear about baking.... and now, I am ready to learn how to use a sewing machine.  Mind you, I do know how to do simple stitches manually - it's something I enjoyed doing ever since I learned about it during high school and that my mom taught me and helped me do one of my first sewing projects.

I always wanted to have a sewing machine but I am scared that later on I won't be able to use and it'll just end up as wasted money.  In my world, wasting money is a grave sin.  But then after soul searching and weighing things out, I told myself there's only one way I could not make the sewing machine (if ever I buy one) end up as wasted money - by commiting to learning it and using it for making wonderful home projects. 

It's actually a good new year's resolution for me (I don't usually make one) as I always have a lot of inhibitions on things I want to do because I am scared I will just waste the money involve in it.  I guess when one has personally witnessed how hard life can be when money is tight, I've developed this kind of negative attitude about venturing.  So my mantra now is just make it happen.

Anyways, this post is not about writing some life's drama.  It's about celebrating myself, giving in to this little want I have had for quite some time now.  Hubby got me a sewing machine for Christmas.  He's the most amazing supporter one can ever have.  He has encouraged me to try because he believes I will learn it and will be able to do what I want to do with it.  He has always believed in me.  Ok, drama again :)

Let's go down to the business.  As a first step on learning how to sew, practice is a must, right?  So instead of just passing pieces of fabric through the sewing machine to try it out, I thought I'll make something really, really, really simple - then I don't have to waste some fabric samples.

You know those tin cans of Danish cookies?  I love them... aside from the fact that I also love Danish cookies.  I always keep these tin cans to store little tinkers on them.  I have 2 of them where I use to put sewing materials - needles, threads, small scissor, buttons, etc.  The only thing I don't like about it is the noise it makes everytime I have to open and close its lid.  I hate the sound of metals touching each other.  It hursts my teeth - that kind of feeling when you accidentally scratch your fingernail on a chalkboard? Ufff.. that.

So I thought I'm gonna make a cloth lining that will cover the inside and the opening lid of the tin can so that the tin can cover will not touch with the metal body.

I am not a pro(obviously) so I don't use patterns :-D I just traced the bottom of the tin can to cut a circular fabric and then just put a rectangular fabric around the outside of the tin can to measure the length of the side.  I ended up with these 2 fabric pieces:



Then, taking the long side of the rectangular piece, I folded it about a half inch and passed it through the sewing machine.  I didn't get a straight line but hey, it's my first time.


Then I folded the rectangular fabric right side together and short side facing each other.  Then sew, sew, sew.




I ended up with a big but short tube-like piece of fabric.

Then I just took the round fabric and match its sides to the bottom of the other piece I just sew.  I matched it with the side without the hem then just pass it through the sewing machine.  It's a bit challenging but it didn't have to be perfect as it will just go inside a tin can.


After a sewing and pausing and praying from time to time, I ended up with this:



To my delight, it fit the tin can well. 


It's nothing fancy but for me it's a baby step to confirm that I WILL learn how to sew :)

I'd like to call Kim of Coffee With Kim - are we still on for our simple sewing project? :)

18 comments:

  1. Pressure! Lol. I have yet to buy a sewing machine! While I'm waiting for the hubby to buy me one (ehem he's reading this now), I'll give manual sewing a try. I used to do it back in high school too so that bit of knowledge might work.

    I'll post pictures... soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure at all and no deadline either of course :) But I am really excited to your post... you can do it! I'm behind you ;-)

      Spanish Pinay

      Delete
  2. That is so cool! I tried sewing once... fail! I would like to try it again but take a class and not try to learn it on youtube. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just purposely omitted how many times I had to repeat the very first time I tried the sewing machine :-D I couldn't put the bobbin well and the thread kept on getting entangled every time I tried to sew!... gosh there was one time I thought I had seriously damaged the sewing machine.

      Spanish Pinay

      Delete
  3. i don't have sewing skills too and i'm planning to buy a simple sewing machine. i saw one, kasing laki lang ng mixer, yung walang inaapakan,(pedal ba yun) hehe! looking forward for your sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine is also a simple one but with pedal... I wanted that small one too before pero wala kami makita dito... anyways, hubby bought the one we have on sale, so pwedeng -pwede na talaga :-D When you get one and do some sewing project, you gotta share it... I'd like to see those para gayahin haha!

      Delete
  4. good for you!!! that is a super cute idea! i will try that -- my mom also uses tins to put her sewing notions... perhaps i can help her by sewing your linings! great idea! go, go, go -- you are on your way! sewing is so much fun!!!! :) good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! I am really determined to be able to do something more from sewing... maybe not up to the level of Vera Wang's creation but a little to the that level. JOKE! :-p

      Thanks for the encouragement, I need that!!

      Delete
  5. Nice first try. As they say practice makes perfect right and I'm sure you'll definitely get the hang of it soon enough.

    We're the same. I don't like venturing into something then only to find out in the future that I won't be using it again. Sayang sa pera but there are instances when it feels so good to give in. Paminsan-minsan nga lang. Hehehe! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masakit sa puso when you see something you bought from your hard-earned money and just collecting dust no? Nakakaguilty! But yeah, sometimes we just have to do it... pero controlled pa rin haha.

      Delete
  6. Nice one! pwede palang lagyan ng lining ang tin can. Ako naman nag aral manahi. Nag enrol ako. Ang gusto ko kasi talaga tahiin e mga curtains na bonggang bongga! Pero nauwi ako sa dress making. lol!Di kasi ako makahanap ng school na nagtuturo ng pananahi ng curtains kaya bumili na lang ako ng libro. Damit ng bata lang namn ang mga tinahi ko at mga simple lang. Pero matagal na yun di ko naman kinarir. Hobby lang talaga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anney, I wouldn't doubt if you can sew - eh grabe ang creativity mo eh :) Pero sana you make kids' dresses ulit and post how tos... you'll surely help aspiring ones like me! :-D

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the DIY idea...I promise myself that I will also do some DIY at home...pero ang gusto ko talaga ang sewing unfortunately hindi ko talaga matutunan hehehhe...puro baliko

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooowwwww! congrats on your new sewing machine! and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, hats off to anyone who can sew... I can't.. and I don't want to haha. But hey, turned out to be a nice project for you. Nice :) By the way, saw your button on Barbara's (spanish4kiddos) blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so proud of you! Life is all about trying new things and being open to learning. :) Being able to sew is an awesome accomplishment...you can make lots of fun and practical stuff for you and your little one and your home. More than that...it is something you wanted to do...and you did it!
    When my children were little, I crocheted and knitted and did some sewing...now I am older and my eyes don't like close work. :( But, when my grandson was born, I crocheted 2 blankets and a couple of sweaters...just had to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. baby steps.. i made pillow cases, table runners. all straight lines in the beginning.. you tube has good tutorials as well. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. SP, it all starts with the basics, and if I might say you did a great job. My gram used to sew with us kids. Once you feel comfortable get LSP doing some stitches with you, it will be so much fun.

    xxo

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...