Thursday, March 29, 2012

DIY: Rolled Magazine Pages Part 1

Warning:  This post is picture heavy!!

I love crafting and I love recycling.  I think I've mentioned this many a times already but I just don't have much time and resources (and sometimes creativity) to do much work on crafting AND recycling or repurposing.  There are times though that I get really inspired and be happy with my creation. 

One of the things I have done which I will basically discuss here is the use of rolled magazine pages.  I really am happy with the result and the usability of what I have done with an added bonus of being able to recycle, so I am definitely sharing this to all of you.

Back in 2008, I created a garbage bin out of rolled magazine paper.  Sick of too many magazines at home, but didn't really want to throw them all at once (out of concern for Mother Earth), I tried to think of what use I can make of them.  I came up with these:










The first two are being used now as garbage can  - one is in one of our bathrooms and the other (brown) is used to contain all old bulbs and/or used batteries that will be thrown in the proper place once the bin is already full.  Important note:  we do really need to mind throwing these things in the proper place and not together with the biodegradable wastes as these things can be toxic to the environment.  The last one (white) is as you can see being used as magazine rack.  Magazine for magazine rack - ain't that cool?

I've also done this out of the same materials:

Drawer space separator (is that even called that way? I am thinking I just invented this term) for utensils. I emptied one of the section/basket to show how it looks like.

A closer look.  It is made by weaving the rolled magazine pages.  Much like a basket.

I loved the idea because 1. I am recycling (I know I am being too repetitive about this) and 2. I can customize it and fit it according to the sections and sizes I need for my drawer. 

Then there's the latest project I just made that  I am extremely happy about - which I will be posting soon.  Hint:  It includes spices!

28 comments:

  1. wow, this is so nice. can you show the procedures. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich. Will do post the how-to. After I post the second part... it'll be out by Saturday :)

      Delete
  2. Ang ganda! Lhot I've seen this na before, but taking a closer look, I'm more amazed! Make it a business! Actually, why don't you make beads for accessories???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, yeah ito yung dating-dati pa... just an introduction with the new project I just finished :-D Alam mo, naisip ko nga yang beads out of magazine. I've done a few pero I lacked creative juices to come up with a good design for an accessory hehe... maybe it will come one day. Creative juices come in very rare these days haha.

      Delete
  3. Yes. Me too wants to learn . You are so creative:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I'll post it the how-to one day. I will need to prepare for it :)

      Delete
  4. this is so cool. I too love arts and crafts but I only got as far as paper basket and vase. What do you use to hold the magazine rolls together? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used nylon thread. I requires a little bit of work to tie them up and make sure that it's tight enough but it's doable :)

      Delete
  5. That's awesome!!!!Me encanta la papelera!!!!Haz un tutorial de cómo hacerla!!!!me encanta!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Madi :) Si claro, por supuesto... ya lo estoy preparando. Tardará un poco porque quizas necesitaré hacer un video de algunos pasos que me es deficil explicarlos bien con solo palabras :-D

      Delete
  6. omg sis this is genius! i love diy stuffs too and a fan of recycling myself. this is perfection! i love love that garbage bin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, sis. Nakakangawit sya gawin pero worth it. You just need to rest and try to do a little each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ganda naman! Ano pinangdikit mo dun sa garbage bin?

    ReplyDelete
  9. recycling is really a great idea. We can make use of our crafty side while doing good for the environment. I can't wait for your next crafty idea! Post it. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. recycling is really a great idea. We can make use of our crafty side while doing good for the environment. I can't wait for your next crafty idea! Post it. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is amazing! You did a fantastic job. Can't wait to
    See how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! kakainggit ng output mo! i'm going home to iloilo and my father has stacks of newspapers in the house since i was a kid... i hope i get the time to do something like this with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your projects are ingenious. How did you cut the mags for the trashcans? I hope you do a DIY on these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow sis you're so clever! Mega inggetz ako! I love recycling but I am not creative at all. Walang imagination ang lola so super bilib sa yo! =) Ang form of recycling lang na kaya ko ay maghatid sa recycling tip namin.
    Can't wait to see your new project =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, very neat. I couldn't have any idea that those were recycling materials. And what amazes me that you have multiple uses, which is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to learn how to do this kaso wala akong magazines. I usually just go to the website and read stuff from the mag's website.

    Hingin ko kaya yung mga FHM na nakatambak sa bahay ng friend ko... I like the drawer separator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I'm super impressed with your projects! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Work of na work of art! Artistic + usable + Earth friendly = AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lhot can you teach me how to make i'll love to try it.. i think my first would be a vase... and if ever i finished it ill let you know.... and send you a pixs of it...THANKS IN ADVANCE... c",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edel! :) Check this post: http://spanishpinaynanay.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/diy-rolled-magazine-pages-part-2.html

      I've included a couple of videows in it. Then if you have any other questions, email me! sasagutin ko lahat ;-) I'm glad you want to do this... it's time for more people to recyle :-D

      Delete
  20. Revisited this sis and I am still amazed by your creativity. Ang galing talaga!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...