Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Fun Food: Scones


Might I invite you for a tea and some scones? (imagine a very strong english accent)
Some weeks ago, bloggy fried Kristeta twitted about her having some coffee and scones.  I thought scones! very english :)  I may have not mentioned this before but I love many things about UK.  I love their tea, I love their accent. I love many of their city structures and most of all, I love the accent (although I do love australian accent more than english heh). Don't you love the way they say something like "noi" whenever they say no or know? .. anyways.... I wanted to talk about scones and not the english accent... so moving on...
Could there be anything more english than scones?  As I was saying, bloggy friend Kristeta twitted about coffee and scones... and then on the same day while browsing a Thermomix magazine, I saw a recipe for scones.  I doin't knoi about you-i but for mey, It's definitley a soign that I muhst maike myself sum skohns! (Excuse me for trying hard on my english accent).

I got super busy these days but finally, I got the chance of making sum skohns! (and this is like a couple of weeks ago and only got the time to blog about it.. uhm now)  An I haf just got to shaire it with youi! ;-) 

I did this using Thermomix.  I am pretty sure that this can be done with something like Kitchen Aid or a hand mixer. 

The ingredients are the following:


flour

sugar

cold milk

cold butter cut into cubes

chemical yeast

salt

 
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC
2. Put in the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and butter in the mixing bowl
3. Mix for 5 seconds/speed 5 on thermomix.  If using Kitchen Aid or hand mixer, use medium-high speed but do not over mix.  The consistency we are looking for is like a sticky breadcrumbs.
4. Add milk and mix for 20 seconds/speed 6 on thermomix.  For Kitchen or hand mixer, use medium speed until the dough comes together.
5. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl. Do not knead.  Using a rolling pin, carefully and slowly flatten it out up to 3cm thick.  Tip: I put baking sheet on the table to lessen the mess and then lightly floured the baking sheet.


6. Using  a round cutter, gently press it on the dough to cut out the scones.  Tip:  Dip the cutter on the flour each time to prevent the scones from sticking to the cutter.



7.  The left over dough can be pressed together again and make another batch.  The result will not be the same though but still good enough.  Every time the left over dough is pressed together, the sponginess of the dough lessens.


8. Place the cut out scones on a baking pan covered with baking sheet.  Bake for about 12-15minutes at 200ºC


9.  Be patient and wait.  Prepare some nice tea to accompany your about to be ready scones.


10.  Scones should be done when it's light golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on top (in Tagalog, kapag pinitik sa ibabaw :-D )


11. Serve with your favorite jam and/or cream cheese or whatever suits your fancy!






22 comments:

  1. That is really easy! I want to make some right now. To bad it's 10 at night, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably dreaming of the scones right now ;-)

      Delete
  2. I had a choice between scones and an oat fudge bar today and I chose the fudge. I will be right over for some scones. That will be a fine balance in my day.

    Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oat fudge bar sounds yummy too! I love oats. oatmeal cookies are one of the staples in our household :)

      Delete
  3. I love scones pero di ko pa na try mag bake. Bumibili lang kami. Masarap nga yan sa coffee or tea! Yung frozen banana bites matigas talaga pag bagong labas sa fridge kaya medyo pabayaan mo muna sa labas ng fridge bago ihain para medyo lumambot. Pero sila kinain talaga nila kahit matigas. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh, ok anney. so pag ginawa ko say for Tala's bday, I'll make sure to take them out an hour before siguro :) Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. can i get some of those bloody scones mate? (nalito kung english or australian hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look just perfect!!! and with a tablespoon of jam...oh my heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scones look MAAAHHHHHVELOUS DAHHHLING. (I'm attempting an Enlish accent here.) :)

    You look interesting. I've followed you. Follow me back, if ya want. :)

    Enjoy your scones. I'm salivating from all the way over here in Tucson, Az!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll head over to your blog in a few :)

      Delete
  7. yay i love it with jam! bumibili lang din ako nito. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least may available jan... dito wala hehe so I gotta make my own ;-)

      Delete
  8. YUMMYYYY, I'll be right over! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said, MMM when I got to the end. I WISH I had time to practice these once before I have company next weekend. It makes me nervous to try new stuff with people around. These look delicious and would be SO perfect for Saturday morning. Thanks for the tip about the leftover dough. Oh I really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nam nam from Spanish Pinay kitchen. I recieve a book lately, a whole book about scones and I didn't tried any of the recipe yet. You give me the inspiration. hi hi. Well, good luck to me. I am not sure it will be successful:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm beginning to love your kitchen and your house. you are creative with things and you cook and bake! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely recipe, SP! I LOVE scones and tea...and with a little apricot or raspberry jam...mmmmmmmm!
    Your pictures make the instructions so easy to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmmm, I love my scones with clotted cream & strawberry jam. Naku sis, punta na dito (though baka magulat ka hindi ganyan ka-Posh magsalita lahat ng Brits).
    I'm happy that I inspired you to bake this sis =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These scones look delicious and love the recipe, wish there were quantities. Or did I miss it? But love that with some chocolate or yerba mate (have you tried that yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg! I just so it! Im craving for scones actually....yay!!!!! dame por favor :D

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...