Monday, May 28, 2012

DIY: Stair Risers...

... made of what else... rolled magazine papers! Didn't I say I am really starting to develop some twitch because of this addiction?  Well yes,  I couldn't stop rolling.  I'm on a roll, y'all! (pun and rhyme intended).

So I we a stair and it has open risers.  Stair risers are the backing on each step of the stairs.  It's been a while since I've been wanting to install backings on our stair risers but guess what I really don't want to spend a fortune hiring some professional carpenters to do the work because here in Spain, it can get ridiculously expensive.  One reason I want our stairs to have backings is that we kind of use the space under it as a storage and it seeing the mess through the open risers can really become an eyesore. 

Plus, I've read that this is against Feng Shui.  Not that I am a big follower but I think it doesn't hurt to consider Feng Shui's teachings when it comes to home arrangement so long as the suggestions are practical.  Feng Shui said that stairs with open risers on stairs lose flow and energy.  Stairs play an important role for the enery in a home to move from one floor to the other... so if a stair has open risers, chances are the rooms upstairs will lose flow and energy. 

Learning this gave me more urgency to do something about our stairs but still didn't give me the stomach to spend significant ka-chings for the home improvement. 

So what did I came up with? You guessed right.  The rolled magazine papers!  It is still a work in progress but I am already liking the result.  It's gonna be a long project so I didn't want to wait until it's done before I post something about it.  Twitch, remember? Addiction? Excited? All that!

Ok, so here's a picture of how it's moving along. 


First try.  I made the two squared rolled magazine papers and just let them sit in-between the steps so it can take better form.


The first step is done!

On to the second...

So that's where I'm currently at.  On the second riser! How many steps does our stairs has? I don't want to think about it... I might lose the will to go on LOL.

Seriously though, I think this will have an awesome output.  Not to mention that it'll cost me practically almost nothing.  The only materials that really has a cost on doin this are the glue and the paint.  The paint was bought for 5 euros (on sale!) way back January I think.  It was bought thinking it will have some use one day... now is the time ;-)

A blog-friend asked me the possibility (hello Sey!) of using rolled magazine papers for a book shelf... now that's a bigger and more challenging project! But I don't think it'll be impossible.  I just need to have an idea on how the pieces can be put together and make sure they'll not fall off :-D

What else can you possible think rolled magazine papers can be made into?  Let's see at what Amazon can give us as an idea...





28 comments:

  1. Had I seen this post of yours before I wouldn't have given away my old magazines (there were tons of them). Oh well... Nice job sis, I can't wait to see the finish product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you'll be buying more so this time around, you can save them... plus there in Philippines, it's easier to ask old magazines from the neighbors hehe

      Delete
  2. You are really creative and very good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ikaw na! I'm super proud of you and your work. I wish I had even an ounce of creativity on me... But since I don't i'll just be content in encouraging you! go go go, can't wait to see it when it's all done =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sis! Pahinga muna ako parang pinupulikat na ang mga daliri ko haha!

      Delete
  4. What a cool transformation they made to your stairs. Awesome job! Do you have enough magazines to finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if I have enough magazine for the whole project... but I sure have enough to keep me busy. I'm pretty sure more magazines will come later :)

      Delete
  5. wow. that looks great. very original and the outcome is looking nice. congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a lot of work too...not to mention rhe time :-D

      Delete
  6. Great idea! Your stairs look really polished. Now you've got me thinking what I can do with these old magazines. Just wondering, how to cut it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a simple tutorial on the basics of this :) Check it out: http://spanishpinaynanay.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/diy-rolled-magazine-pages-part-1.html

      Basically, the magazine pages can just be torn out from its binding and then each page is cut into half :)

      Delete
  7. oh my gosh!!! send this into a magazine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello there, Oh my *blushing! LOL. Thanks for taking my request for an upcoming project. I really appreciate it *wink. I love your idea on covering the holes on your stairs.

    I am excited with the bookshelf project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a mock up using big staples to attach each piece but I am not sure if it'll be sturdy enough... next idea please haha

      Delete
  9. I really like the bowl and the mirror...would love to try that with the kids.

    Look who's all creative and stuff...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing! dami palang pwedeng magawa. you're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cool idea! What you have done looks really good. Keeps your fingers busy at night I bet ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi lhot,,, its so nice.... why not try to make a fashionable bags out of it???? just wondering could it be?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi lhot... nice project.. why not try to make a fashionable bags???? out of magazines... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  14. fashionable bags should be interesting :) Pero it's going to be a big challenge for me. Hindi ata kaya ng powers ko haha. Kasi for sure it'll require more precission and great deal on design... while the other projects I've done are very forgiving with imperfections :-D

    I've done baskets though using the weaving method... but still since they are just baskets for general use, I just do them without giving much attention to details :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ang galing ng idea mo, and it looks good too. No matter how many more steps you have to go, the important thing is it gets done, slowly but surely :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are fabulous! If I have time, I'll definitely do projects same as yours. Very inspiring! The domestic diva in me is rekindled!!! Bow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Are these really made from magazines? These are so creative. I can’t believe that magazines could be made into something so amazing. Thanks for sharing these ideas.
    Treads-N-More.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jelly Andrews, Yes they are really made from magazine papers. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...