Friday, May 18, 2012

Next phase: Daycare?

So we have decided to send Little Spanish Pinay to daycare.  Not for her to learn how to socialize but because she's such an active, happy, eager to learn toddler.  My idea of homeschooling her for at least her 3rd yr is unfortunately really hard to do.  Honestly? I feel defeated that I simply can't do it all.  I've been trying but, the hard truth is?  I am not a supermom.  But I'm over that.  I've come to accept that there can be other people who can share and help her learn new things, explore, discover and just play around with and enjoy things with. 

So, with a bit of a heavy heart and a growing knot in my stomach, hubby and I started looking around for a good daycare.  We have visited 3 so far and the last one we have visited, has been my favorite. It did seem like it's LSP's favorite too.  She liked the place at once, moved around and played with the toys.  She talked to the director of the daycare with enthusiasm (she is usually shy at the beginning and wouldn't talk), she ran around the center, went up the slide, slid down her own, squeealed and yelled with excitement.

The daycare has a blog as well  where parents can see the activities the kids have been doing.  As I was reading the blog and looking at the picture, my stomach started getting knotty again and my throat, lumpy.  I'm such a wuss.  It's like all of a sudden my baby has become a real full-time grown child - and it feels like this has just happened overnight. I know I've been talking about LSP as a toddler, etc but because technically she's already a toddler ever since she entered 1 - it's just how toddlers are called when they enter one and start toddling.  BUT this time? it's like she's really developed her wings and would start to fly away from her nest and will just come back whenever.  Ok, it's not whenever, whenever coz she's coming back on schedule but you know what I mean.

She won't start till September coz that's the start of the school year here so I still have about 3 months to enjoy more time in a day with her.  I've already asked for a week's vacation on the first week of September so I can also adjust well but it seems like it is going to be a little bit complicated with work.  We'll see.  Maybe heaven will pity me and make my bosses agree on giving me a week vacation leave.  But I am not putting my hopes too high.

I just have too many what-ifs and worries (hello! what's new?).  I'm not really used to having her away from me for more than 2 hours in a day.  Whenever she feels uncomfortable, mami comes to the rescue with a hug, a kiss and the power of boobies.  She has never, ever taken her nap without nursing first.  How is she going to take her nap in the daycare?

I know, she's going to adjust and will enjoy her time with other kids playing and learning with her. 

Maybe she will adjust better than I would. 

Tell me I am over-dramatizing things?

16 comments:

  1. Praying for your tough decision. I loved being with my children full-time, but that doesn't always work with everyone. I would be a bit paranoid too. Sorry to not be much help...but I am feeling your concerns and praying for all of you! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course your not over dramatizing. It is our as Mami's to worry about our little blessings. She will do great. Praying for an easy transition for you both <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom worked full time..and our love for each other was as perfect as it could get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nangingiti ko habang binabasa ko, parang kaw magkakaroon ng separation anxiety at hindi si LSP. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is difficult to move from one stage of life to another...for parents and for children. And yes, sometimes it is more difficult for the parents. :)

    After teaching kindergarten for many years, my husband and I decided to start our own family. When our third child was 10 months old, I decided to start a home daycare...based on a nursery school/preschool program with reading, arts, music/rhythms, math/science, etc...the children who attended had a beautiful balanced day filled with educational activities, outdoor fun and lots of love. I know it is hard to separate and give "control" to another...but LSP will adjust quickly to the new routine and situation. If I would give any advice (not that you have asked), I would say to be positive and matter-of-fact about it...and don't beat yourself up over it...if you and your husband choose the best place for her that you are comfortable with, all will be well. And no decision is unchangeable...if things aren't going well, you can always make other choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to send them to school even if it's just daycare. My mind starts to fast forward to an empty nest :) I wish they would stay little just a while longer but have to adjust along with our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure it will be hard but then you will see how much fun she is having. They have to grow up sometime right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LSP is really growing up, and you must prepare yourself for it. Don't worry, you'll be fine. I remember having bouts of separation anxiety when my daughter first went to school. Relax... LSP will be in good hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. next grade 1 na....madali lang lumipas ang taon..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i cant do homeschooling too. that makes me = not a supermom. im sad. but all for the best for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww... i think i would also be a drama queen it is lia's time to attend school :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so not exaggerating! It's so tough. I remember leaving my first 2 in daycare and crying the entire way to work. So, so hard.
    I'm home with Ava and honestly, couldn't imagine leaving her for more than a few hours but I know in my heart that I should soon. It's so good for them.
    Best of luck my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the same emotions when I saw in Sophie's eyes that she finally found her school. Once she started school, it's like she grew and matured faster than I wanted. Just makes you want to bring back the time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. We homeschooled our children, but through that I learned two very important things--1) one of my kids would have been a-okay in school--the others would not have been--in other words--it's the choice that's important.

    And 2) no matter how you choose to school your child (day-care included), "parental involvement" is the determining factor for success. I've seen this played out a thousand times.

    I have no doubt that you will do right for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. there's no drama in there...I think that's mother instinct that is kickin'. Too sad yeah but it's coming so better enjoy the days with LSP and and as times goes by, you'll get by. I know she'll enjoy it there. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...