Thursday, May 17, 2012

The one where she wants me to be far from her

A couple of weeks ago (or maybe that's 3 weeks ago already), we have celebrated Little Spanish Pinay's second year birthday. It is only now, it sinked to me that my baby is not a baby anymore.  She's in her halfway towards leaving toddlerhood.  Although she's still afflicted with mamtis, she's showing interest on independence more and more. 

Yesterday, when we were in the park, she wanted to go to the slide alone.  While this is not the first time, it's quite different this time though.  She wanted us to be far away from the slide.


The picture above is how far she asked us to stay away from the slide.  She kept pushing us and telling us LSP sola! LSP sola! (LSP on her own! LSP on her own!).  If we ever move one step closer, she'd scream and would run towards us to push us even farther.  She was asking me, her mami whom she has been sooooo clingy with, to step back and just let her be.  I've my mouth agape.

While my heart was thumpity-thumping nervously watching her go up and down the slide, it swells with pride at the same time

Now, we are eyeing for her to join a daycare.  Originally, I wanted her to stay with me till about 3yrs old and just go straight to pre-school.  In a perfect world of mine even, I was imagining her to stay with me at home till about 7yrs then she'll go straight to grade school.  But with my full-time day job, I can't focus on her and spend more time with her. 

She's a child with big appetite for learning and discovering.  She has a huge reserve of energy that needs to be channeled to different activities otherwise it just gets wasted then she gets bored then she gets fuzzy.

I cannot say I am ready for this.  About 4 months ago,  out Little Spanish Pinay felt for the first time how is it to be in a daycare.  She entered the area, without looking back, followed the care giver everywhere she went, went to the explore the toys by herself, observed the different kids in the daycare, etc.  She didn't show any sign of anxiety - just pure curiosity.  She did have a serious face all through out though.  She was very attentive with everything around her.  She seemed to be ready for a real daycare.  But not me.  She's growing and I must too... so we'll see how the search for a daycare will be and how will I adapt to the new schedule.  This will mean I'd have to organize myself in the morning so my work and schedule may fit to the hours that she'll have to be in the daycare. 

We'll see, we'll see.  I hope everything works out well.

24 comments:

  1. I am sure that everything will work out well. I wanted to put my son in daycare in Spain when he was two but was not able to because they were full!! I am sure that once he has adapted to her new routine she will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's one advantage we have here in the province. See, it's already May and it seems that there are daycares with available slots still.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is so hard, but also wonderful, as our little ones take steps away from us. It is hard to celebrate their independence...and wonderful at the same time to realize we are preparing them to be positive, loving, caring, creative members of society. You are doing such a wonderful job parenting...I so enjoy reading about LSP's adventures.
    You know I'm always encouraging parents to turn off the TV and engage with their kids in other activities...check out the article on SheKnows.com: http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/959777/is-your-child-watching-too-much-tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, as always, I love reading your comments. I went and checked the article and it definitely has a lot of take away for me. LSP is loving to watch videos more and more... so it's a big battle for me to let her watch TV so I can do some household chores while I know she is safe where she is watching TV. I know this is not the best situation but what I normally try to do is discuss with her what we watch while I try to do household chores around the house. I guess this is one benefit of her going to daycare... lesser TV time :)

      Delete
  3. Hi thanks for dropping by my blog few weeks ago. Sorry am late here.

    Hmm...daycare sounds good. At least she gets to mix with other kids but have to be prepare for her to fall sick more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Small Kucing. I've been discussing this to hubby and yes, we do have to be ready for her to fall sick more often. Hopefully she has a better immune system with all the nursing she's been doing day-in day-out :-D

      Delete
  4. I am sure it will. You have a smart kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow and become so independent?! My youngest was always by my side and I mean it when I say that ALWAYS! Well, he's going to be 5 in August and it was just a few months ago that he said to me, "I want to go on a play date where you just leave me." well, I'll be... he really is going to let me go and i won;t have to live a few blocks away while he's in college! I couldn't believe my ears - I had to call hubby and tell him! Because poor hubby, youngest wouldn't even let him help in any way. It was always mommy only!
    It's so awesome to see them develop in their own ways and become independent at their own rate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha LSP sounds like she's going to follow your youngest :) She is currently in a state where she is enjoying a taste of independence and then suddenly get scared and start to get clingy again.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Mukhang may kasabay akong makaka-experience ng separation anxiety once they start going to school. Hihi. Sis, once you find the pause button that would let them stop growing even for a while, do let me know, I'd like to borrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis, I was with ACN from 2008-2009 lng. I stopped working after I gave birth to Akira :)

      Delete
    2. ah, so pareho pala tayong ex-acn ;-)

      Delete
  7. Wow, LSP is beginning to assert her independence. You'll be ready for it, don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so, Pepper... just by imagining she'll be away from me for 8 hours, my mind can't stop thinking already on what could happen and a thousand of what-ifs.

      Delete
  8. Very curious na sya at ang aga maging independent! May you find the best daycare for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she has moments, Anney. Sometimes she's over her head showing us she's very independent pero other times, she's as clingy as a leech!

      Delete
  9. Aww she is so precious! When I was nanny I saw how difficult it was for parent to leave their children. She sounds like a really independent girl. She will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you could find a good daycare. Here in States there's a lot of good daycare but expensive so I end up to be a stay at home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww... don't worry lhot, she will always be your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds just like the Twerp when she started saying "all by myself!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Independent na agad! Awww... :) Hirap mag-let go!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...