Thursday, May 10, 2012

Smallest Step on Paying It Forward



When I graduated college, the happiness and the relief I felt was indescribable.  The fear was also eminent.  Fear of not able to find a job at once and fear of failing my dream of changing our then-current economic situation.  But the good Lord is always faithful.  He has great plans that will be done in His own time, through His Will.
Back in my elementary days, I'd normally have trouble joining filed trips or other school activities because we didn't have anything to pay for the fees.  When I graduated in elementary, I was lucky enough to get a full-scholarship from a private sector that has dedicated their time on sponsoring certain students to be able to study on a good private catholic school.  It was one of the best private schools in our hometown.  It was my biggest first step towards reaching my goal.  It has opened opportunities for me to be able to get a good education and enter a good college later on and soon after, land on a job that's given me good experience and training ground and most of all, helped my family and change a little something in our lives.

I swore that my siblings won't undergo the same difficulties I faced when I was studying.  I didn't want them to worry about whether they'll be able to buy books or not.  I also wanted them to get good education and complete their chosen career path... by God's grace this has been getting fulfilled.  2 more left in college... 3 more years, God-willing.

When I try to think back, it's still hard for me to believe that my goal is really turning into a reality. 3 more years and all my siblings will finish college. I always remember the good man behind the private organization that has given me a full-scholarship to study in an all-girls catholic school.  He believed in me.  Without him, it's hard to imagine myself being where I am now.  And so, everytime I remember him, I always tell myself, one day I will be able to pay forward whatever he has done for me.  I dream of being able to sponsor a child from the same elementary school I studied.  I know first hand that there are many poor students there that would even go to school on rugged, overused slippers because they don't have anything to buy shoes.  But unfortunately, at this point in my life, this is not yet doable.  With 2 siblings still in college and cost of living in the Philippines soaring like a sky-rocket, it's just not happening at the moment.  But with God's grace, one day, it will.

In the meantime, in my own minute way, I'd like to be able to help this Filipino couple get as much support as they can on their mission... mission to help young poor girls in the Philippines build their future by taking them under their wings and giving them chance to get the education they need.  Much similar to the great man behind the chance I got of getting good education. This couple's mission is noble and totally selfless on their part.  Their hearts swell with compassion and kindness and commitment to help.  I invite you all to please visit Monica's blog and read their story.

They do accept cash donations via paypal.  They have a donate button right there in Monica's blogsite so if you feel like being generous a little bit, any amount can go a loooong way.  Books, slightly used shoes and clothes for girls ages 5-12 are also accepted.  Monica will also start a project on selling used and donated woman's shoes and purses. We'll have to stay tuned to this.

I really would love for this couple to be able to get all the support they need to continue helping these girls. So I'd like to appeal to all those generous hearts out there... please visit Monica's blog and F.L.A.G's website for more information.

17 comments:

  1. Just donated. It's not much pero I'm sure makakatulong yun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anney... naluha ako sayo. I didn't expect to get such fast response. Thank you so much! Ang drama ko diba, pero totoo yannnn, naluha talaga ako!

      Delete
  2. oh lou.. tears pouring ( together with the downpour of rain)i felt it. your gratitude and sincere support. You don't how much this means to us.. to me and the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mon, I know in my heart I owe this and more. F.L.A.G is doing such a noble job and the world gotta help. We'll pray for more help to pour in!!

      Delete
  3. Hi SP, like you, my heart burns also to help this children who needs education, bacause not everyone has the opportunity to do so. I actually managed to finish my college education when I was 40 years old. Can you believed that? It was by God's grace and help and strength. And with God's help to, I was able to send my children to college. NOw it is their turn to send theirs. HI hi Anyway, thanks to your blog, I get to know mOnica and really admired her for doing such awork for these kids. Anyway, God's always provide a way so that we can help. You are the voice and it is up to us readers to help as much as we can. Bless your heart. Anyway, I was touched also by your story. You have a golden heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Joy. Like I've said in many of my comments on your blog, your story is an inspiration to many of us too. I love reading your reflection on your blog :)

      Delete
  4. It so sad to hear my grandmas story about when she would go to school with no shoes. Thank you for your heart and support. It inspires me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful testimony you have! I am jumping over there now. Blessings my friend :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amy! You ARE a blessing!

      Delete
  6. You are clearly a very selfless person. I loved reading this post. Your siblings are very blessed to have you. Very few would be so concerned for the education and well-being of their little brothers and sisters. you are very inspiring. Good luck in all of your worthy endevors.

    I will now visit Monica's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thank you so much! I am so grateful for your visit and share of love.

      Delete
  7. Monica and her husband are doing such a great work. It was good reading your post about them. Hopefully there will be many people willing to help out. I'm promoting this on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! your help means a lot to me!

      Delete
  8. Lou and friends, I am deeply touched with all your support and generosity. We are forever grateful for what you are doing. In your way, you are creating awareness and reaching out to thes girls. The universe is speaking to you as it has spoken to us. You will bring change to what you want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy mother's day to you too SP. And you are too a wonderful mother:)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...