Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We Now Conjugate Verbs!

A little Spanish lesson, here we go:

Saber means to know in english.  In Spanish, verb conjugation is a bit more complicated than English as each subject has a different verb conjugation.  Let's see below:

Yo (I)  se (know)
Tu (You) sabes (know)
El/Ella (He/she/it) sabe (knows)
Nosotros (We) sabemos (know)
Ellos/Ellas (They) saben (know)
Vosotros/Vosotras (You-all) sabeis (know)

See what I mean? That's 6 (Spanish) vs 2 (English).  But wait, the complication doesn't just end there. The ver saber is an irregular verb because it doesn't completely follow the general rule for verb conjugation.  What general rule?  I won't discuss all the rule but only for the verbs that end in -er (e.g. comer) since this is the one that plays important rule in this particular story of ours :)

The verbs(regular) ending in -er are conjugated for each subject by changing the -er part to the following:

Yo como (I eat) - here the -er was taken and exchanged with o. i.e. comer =  comer  = com + o = como
Tu comes (You eat) - here the -er exchanged with -es. i.e. comer = comer = com + es = comes

get the gist? So we move along to the rest of the subjects:

El/Ella come (He/She/It eats) - er changed to e
Nosotros comemos (We eat) - er changed to emos
Ellos/Ellas comen (They) - er changed to en
Vosotros/Vosotras comeis (You-all) - er changed to

I tell you, verb conjugation is my weakness in Spanish.  So what do you do with the irregular verb? Memorize them! So, you just have to remember that saber for the subject  Yo (I) is se and that you should not apply the rule for the verb that ends in -er even if the verb saber ends with -er.  Capiche?

So yesterday, Little Spanish Pinay and I were playing dress up.  She was rummaging through her drawer, picking up things like socks, shirts, dress and telling me if I like each of it and if I say yes, she'd try to put it on me or just throw it up in the air. Yes, the room ended up like a jungle after.

She saw one of her clown socks I made for her past 2nd year birthday celebration and asked me if I like it.  I answered with a resounding YES! but then this time she said she wants to put it on her foot.  She told me to put it on her.  I told her she should put it on herself because she can.  The conversation goes like this:

Mami: Ikaw na magsuot, kaya mo yan.  Ponlo tu, que ya sabes. (Put it on by yourself, you already know how to.)

LSP:  nooooo! mami!

Mami: Sige na anak, kaya mo yan.  Venga, ponlo tu que ya sabes. (Come on, put it on by yourself as you already know how to)

LSP: noooooo! no sabo!

Mami: *blank face* (after a few seconds) *eyes wide, mouth open* (after another couple of seconds) *shrieks with excitement*

Ok, before spanish philologists out there would condemn me, I KNOW that sabo is incorrect. But what actually excites me is the fact that our LSP has just shown that she conjugated a verb deliberately!

She does say No lo se (I don't know it) or simply no se (I don't know) but because surely she has heard someone said it this way.  At this point, we can say that she has learned her verbs by just repeating what other people around her say.  BUT yesterday, she has clearly shown that her mind tried to consciously conjugate the verb based on the pattern that her mind is learning (see the rule above on the verb comer)

Of course I had to correct her because the right verb would be se and not sabo.  But I was nonetheless ecstatic about it.  It's just sooo amazing and sometimes mind-boggling how a mind of a child develops and much more if the development thrives right before your very eyes.

.... the joy of parenthood :)

21 comments:

  1. ang hirap pala ng spanish. nagulo utak ko sa pagbasa. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha actually verb lang mahirap :-D pinahirap ko lang sa pagkaka-explain ko.

      Delete
  2. Spanish is supposed to be easier than English...I guess it is, but you got me wondering...lol
    Hope you had a beautiful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that you said, I think I made Spanish look like it's too complicated than it really is, sorry! :-) But you are right in general, Spanish is easier in terms of grammatical rules... the verb conjugation is the only aspect that's quite intimidating to me LOL

      Delete
  3. OMG, nosebleed ako sis. Nakakaloka pala ang Spanish. I just know how to count 1-10. Hehe. But I can imagine LSP while she says no sabo, cutipie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis, verb conjugation lang mejo complicated hehehe mejo OA lang ako haha.

      Delete
  4. Wow that is so amazing! Way to teach mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds to difficult to learn language for me. Well, maybe because I am getting old. BUt children? They do learn quickly and it is always fun to hear them learning new words:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's amazing how young kids have the ability to learn 2 or more languages at the same time. They are like sponges for knowledge!

      Delete
  6. Naku sis, out the window na ang Spanish sa gusto kong aralin na language, hehe. Naguluhan ako! Super bilib kay LSP though. She is definitely picking up a lot and showing signs of being super clever. And super like pa rin nya yung clown socks nya =) sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis, don't! haha pinahirap ko lang pero madali naman matutunan compared to other languages, promise! :-D

      Delete
  7. Ni-nosebleed ako! Kakatuwa si Tala... but don't let her forget her tagalog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't forget her tagalog, don't worry ;-) we have regular sessions of tagalog conversation.. kaya lang she replies to me in Spanish... pero may times na she uses tagalog words in between spanish sentences haha and it sounds really cute.

      Delete
  8. I'm currently dealing with our Spanish colleagues and now I can understand them much better. I've seen some of the words you mentioned here in our email conversations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Takes me back to when I was studying Spanish in college. Those were the days. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. learning another language is a gift - LSP is lucky that you are encouraging it. I don't know my native language enough to teach my children! keep it up. love the cuteness of children learning languages! :)
    -steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big challenge for me to teach her my language as we don' have much resources and all that. She understands almost everything now but she still answers back to me in Spanish... I guess at this point she uses the language more conevnient for her.

      Delete
  11. LSP is so lucky to have exposure to different languages! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a challenege but it does have its perks :-)

      Delete
  12. She's sure is a fast learner! Proud Mommy moment there :) Btw, thanks for the spanish lesson. I do remember doing this in college :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...