Monday, July 16, 2012

DIY: Fabric Hanging Bookshelf

In the midst of too much work and drama and some drainage problem around our household,  I tried to work on some DIY project that hopefully would make me feel like there's still something we are able to accomplish inspite of all the hullaabaloos.

 I've been eyeing this project for quite some time now but couldn't really dedicate enough time to sit down and start on it.  But then slowly, slowly, like that tortoise in the story  The Tortoise and The Hare,  I managed to win the race!  Thanks to Pinterest and to this lady who posted a great tutorial.

I'm not posting my own tutorial as really, I just followed whatever is in the link above plus, some improvisation.   If any one has some questions though with anything, just haller and yours truly will try her best to help :)

So here is my own version.  The fabric is from a curtain that was on sale.  From €24.99 to €5. Score!  One whole curtain was already more than enough for these two hanging book shelf. 

I downloaded pictures of animal silhouettes from the internet, printed on a paper and then traced them on an old shirt I have.  I then just pasted them using fabric glue.  I love the result! But man, cutting animal silhouettes on a fabric is a tough job. 

Ok, some revelation... see the big red arrow above? Not cool.  That shows how my sewing skill needs tons of practice.  But I am turning a blind eye on that as I am currently too lazy to correct this booboo.

And now for my favorite part.  See the embellisments on the side?  Rolled paper magazine, what else!

Coz, this? Is ugly.  I bought long curtain rod and just cut them in half.  So the result is this ugly thing.  They badly need some eblishment but the ones that are ready-made from the store are either too big or way too expensive for my budget-conscious self.  So I think and think and think of what to do... and my trusty magazine papers were the answer!

I was thrilled with the result!  They are quite simple and pretty enough to be considered as embellishments heh :)  I am contemplating though whether to paint them green or not... I'll probably try and see how it looks much later. 
 

So there ya go!  I hope you like 'em like I do ;-)

Next project should be something to put on that blank part of the wall.  Any idea for a DIY?

27 comments:

  1. Hi Sis, you are soo creative, Im glad you still manage to do some DIY's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laki ng nagawa ng rolled paper magazine! Lalo nya pinaganda ang DIY project mo na ito.Pwede din i paint ng green para tumerno dun sa mga animal cutouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu are really very creative lady. Great getting ideas from others, but you add more and made it your own. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well yes, I liked it! That was a great idea! And what you did was perfect.. Hope I also have creative and skillful hands like yours..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic, Marilou! I love how creative you are and how you made this amazing book holder from stuff on sale and stuff you engineered yourself!!! It looks wonderful and I know that LSP will love having her books displayed in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love love love it sis! i also love that you have pinoy story books for tala :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was trying to figure out what kind of cool looking rod you had hung this on...should have realized it was one of your own awesome rolled magazine creations. I saw a girl who had added magazine rolls to her hair band and immediately thought of you. Great book shelf idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made me excited with this. Maybe I could put some good use to old clothes that were due on the bin. And maybe we can make it stand alone for magazine rack on our living room. Hihihi.

    btw,,,I miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow!! beautiful, perfect and practical! good for you.
    everything works out too...someway, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool! Take a bow 'coz this is one awesome idea! :)

    www.themommist.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarking this post for future use. Thanks for sharing, sis!
    Oh!! I super love the cut-outs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOOOOOVE this! It turned out perfectly. Also, great use of your rolled magazines as an embellishment. A little DIY is always good for the soul. Sorry to hear that you have had a hard time lately :( Hopefully things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! That is a great DIY project. We are a book loving family and needs more space for our books! This is definitely a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great project! You did a great job. I loved your embellishments with the rolled magazines. Just like you to reuse. ;)
    Hope things are getting better around the house...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's such a cool idea! You did a great job with it! I really like your blog! It would be nice if you could stop by my blog sometime too (I'm from England) as I post my outfits and more :) :)

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also, I wanted to say I found your blog from someone elses blog about drinking, I don't do it either, I never have done. I'm not a fan of putting poison in my body either!

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is so creative and I love it so much.
    Truly a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! New stalker here! lol.. Newbie here and I am glad that I found your blog!I am still looking for circle of friends! Hope you can visit mine! Will definitely follow you!

    Lovelots;

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this is nice! I love the animal silhouettes. Galing! Super nice ang blog mo, Sis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this is nice! I love the animal silhouettes. Galing! Your blog is super nice, sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Found a picture of your cute bookshelf on google images. Didn't plan on doing this for my daughter's room, but I think your project may have convinced me. Very neat. Thank you. -YA

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...