Friday, November 9, 2012

Homemade Skinless Longganisa

Longganisa is one of my classic comfort food.   Although we have chorizo here in Spain, it's really nothing like longganisa from my beloved Philippines. 
 
I have been wanting to be able to make one but haven't really found an easy recipe so thank goodness to my pretty preggy friend Dianne as she was able to find one.  The plus side is that she has already tried this and approved of the result.  Being a great foodie that she is, I have no doubts the recipe is really going to give good results.
 
It took me a while before I was able to finally make this on my own as life happens and this mama gets burried with so much work and mama duties.
 
I did some modifications on the recipe to suit my liking... for one, I love my longganisa just a  tad bit on the sweeter side so, I used a bit more sugar.  You can refer to Dianne's recipe for the original recipe.

My recipe below is probably just good for 2-3 people so double it if you want a big batch.  Dianne's recipe calls for 1.5lbs ground pork and that's about 680 grams.
 
Ingredients:
 
250grams ground pork (I used the mix kind - mixed beef and pork)
1 carrot, grated (my special ingredient)
1.5 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper (I may have used a bit more)
5 cloves garlic (yes, I used 5 times the original recipe.  we love garlic in the house so, need I say more?)
1/2 tsp anato/atsuete powder (I don't have anato seeds here)
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 or 2 tbsp of red wine
a little butter

Let's get down to the business.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl except for the wine and the butter.  Mix it good until all ingredients are well incorporated.  You can use a spoon or your clean hand. Hand is better.

I like sneaking in veggies in my dishes so I thought I'd sneak in some grated carrots in this. It wasn't a bad idea at all!
 

Roll a part of the mixture to a cling wrap.  The amount depends on how big or long you would want the longganisa to be.  I did about an inch thick.


Now, here's a trick I did.  I closed the sides of the cling wrap (after the longganisa is rolled inside) and made a knot on each side.  This made the longgaisa more compact and sort of tube-like round.

does this remind you of the classic ice candy?

excuse the blurry photo. I was just using my phone camera on my left hand.
 

You gotta let it cure overnight inside the fridge.  But if you are impatient like me, 1 or 2 hours may already be good... but not as good as overnight, so remember that ;-)

I also have a slightly different way of cooking longganisa.  I've used my mom's classic way of cooking longganisa and also added some Spanish touch to it.


 
In a skillet, I put the longganisa (cling wrap removed) with a little bit of water.  Let the water boil.  This way, I am more confident that the longganisa would be well cooked until the core part.  I love meat and I love it well done.  I may have also sprinkled the longganisa a dash of brown sugar while it's cooking (yes more)... but that really depends on your liking.

 

When the water is about to get dry, pour in your red wine. This gives tanginess to the longganisa and that nice dark color.  I am thinking that with the wine, you can totally ommit the anato powder.

Oh, just imagine how the mixture of different tastes would explode in your mouth with every bite!

Let it simmer until it caramelizes a bit.  Then put a little butter or if you prefer to be healthier, use vegetable or olive oil.  I used butter!


Then just let it fry until golden brown and the caramel becomes sticky.

 
You wanna be more sinful?  Cleanup that caramel in the frying pan with rice!
Yes, I committed more sin by frying the rice on the longganisa caramelized drippings!   And I must say, it is all worth it! Every.single.calorie.
 
BOW!
 
 
 

 
 
 

20 comments:

  1. i'm not fond of longganisa pero parang ang sarap mag-longsilog ngayon kaso wala ko longganisa. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..nakakagutom! even the rice you cooked in the longanisa oil. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I love longganisa too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yan na, gutom na ako. I believe it is the best longanisa ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! Kami din ganyan yung nag caramelize sa kawali sarap sa kanin. Maski sa tocino ginagawa din namin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bigla akong nag crave sa longganisa! gosh! You're really good in the cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love longganisa! but i prefer the unsweetened ones.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, it looks so yummy. Especially the sinful part. :(
    I wanna have longganisa tomorrow. Haha!

    Bebengisms

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! that sinful part is very popular for us, I love doing it, most likely after cooking tocino.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Galing! My little girl loves longanisa and I will definitely try this recipe as it has NO PRESERVATIVES! Thank you so much for sharing this =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made your own longganisa?! Grabe sis, it seems like there is nothing that you can't do, ikaw na talaga! Speaking of, longganisa ang ulam ko kaninang lunch haha...

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, i love how you made everything about this post.Thanks for posting :) I wanna try making mine too. The fact that you want to put some veggies in you cooking reminds me of my mom. She used to do that too. I mean a lot, especially carrots (her favorite veggie) tee hee...
    I'm Tin btw,your new follower from Cebu
    :)
    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love lucban longganisa but haven't tried cooking with a kick of wine...I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, I love longanisa, especially the garlicky kind! Now I can make my own! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Definitely, worth all the calories :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uy! this is Saturday morning breakfast in the making! this is definitely my menu for Saturday. thank you for sharing! Sarap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Natakam ako.. ang sosy with wine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love longganisa too, nothing beats gawang pinoy lutong pinoy. Diko din gusto yung chorizo nila dito. Nagtry rin akong gumawa nito yung recipe nakita ko sa YT :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...