Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas DIYs and Recycling

Since I've been really committed to being green (whenever I can) and frugal,  I have sworn to not buy new Christmas decors nor buy gift wrappers.  I sworn to use our old Christmas decors and if they are not enough, take out my magic DIYer wand.  I sworn to use papers I already have for gift wrappers and make them look Christmas-y so then I won't have to buy gift wrappers. Sounds extreme?  A bit.  It's actually quite hard to resist the temptation of buying those super lovely Christmas decors and ornaments from the store whenever I see them... but I am so doing it! **patting my back**
I'll probably won't be able to complete decorating the house but with the close-to-none extra time I have, I'm just doing what I can.  And I am quite pleased about the whole effort so here I am showing 'em off.  You are warned:  there'll be stars everywhere!
Entrance hall.  Remember the wall decor I created using pistachio shells?  There they still are.  The paper snowflakes on the side are just paper cut outs using normal printing papers.  The mistletoes on the yellow and green vases are from the tree.  The stars are from a kraft and cereal boxes.



The plant/tree that I always thought to be mistletoe are just taken from the nearby park.  Thank you my fellow mommy bloggers and twitter buddies, I have learned something new..  It's not mistletoe, Spanish Pinay.  It's Holly!
Some more 3D stars this time out of magazine covers

and another set of 3D stars from cereal boxes


Yet another star from cereal box.  Candle (ok, with this one, I couldn't resist... I bought it. But for 2 euros, it was begging to climb my shopping cart and so I gave in). Decorative sand = expired baby cereal mix and glitters! That's a winner I tell you.  The gold small balls are from a broken old Christmas decors and finally, the pine cone I picked from one of our walks in the mountains one summer day



Parol (Fillipino Christmas lantern).  This was a necessity for me to make. 
Blame it on homesickness.  This parol is made out of barbeque sticks.  The cellophanes are store brought while the white tissue papers are recycled from the pictures frames I bought ages ago.  Stores would usually wrap fragile items with these type of paper tissues.  Yes, I also keep those. Holler if anyone wants a tutorial!

Gifts wrapped so far:  The brown papers from the dining chairs packaging we ordered online months ago.  The different ornaments used are:  magazine papers, some colored craft papers I already have, yarn, cupcake papers from a tin can of danish cookies and of course, glitters! I certainly think glitters is made for Christmas!
  
 I'll probably update this post if I am able to add some more Christmas decors at home for now, that's all the humble abode got.   I still need a Christmas wreath for the door.  Spell DIY and RECYCLE!

Disclaimer:  Don't be fooled by the neat pictures... the house mess is kicked off the camera radar ;-)

19 comments:

  1. Very creative and super tiyaga. =) I want to know how to make those 3D stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I admire you. Thumbs up ako:) maybe I shall try to recycle too! Beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, SP! I envy you for doing all of those. I am crafty, I think but not as sipag as you are. I don;t have any Christmas decor yet on our new apartment. Just an old wreath at the door. :/

    Bebengisms

    ReplyDelete
  4. galing ng craftmanship and so I'm happy to see you a pinoy parol:)merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 3D stars are bongga! And I loved the Parol! Makapag-recycle nga din ng pang-gift wrap.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you!!! you have a beautiful touch...and love that it is green!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! that's one way to re-use all those papers and cartons. Ang tiyaga mo. I tried to be frugal with our Christmas decors too this year so recycled last year's decors and bought some new stuff from tiangges. Love your parol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I wish I had your patience (and creativity) to do all those things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, as always! I wish i can steal some of your creativity. merry Christmas sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been seeing your works on Instagram sis, I must say you really are good at this. I love the 3D star decors and the fact that you did them made them all the more special.

    And yeah your parol! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hanga naman ako sa pag recycling power mo! wala talaga nasasayang! Kahit anong lumang bagay e pwedeng maging bago at kapakipakinabang!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! You've inspired me to DIY our decors a. I really like the 3D stars. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Watta brilliant ideas! How I really wish I had those creativity too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lhot, I'm forever amazed with your creativity and resourcefulness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good that you're staying true to your roots with that "parol". I remember making one in grade school, but I wouldn't know how to make one now.

    Have a merry Christmas! Your house looks wonderful will all those decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything in here! I too advocate reusing every reusable item there is in our household ad much as I can. :)) How do you mke those stars out of cereal boxes? Can you pls do a tutorial of that too? :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pistachio wall decor, i love the parol, I love the pine cone decor and i love the stars. Merry Christmas sis! Oh and I agree with Faye, please share the 3d stars tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love them all! The parol made me smile. You must be missing home pretty badly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...