Monday, December 17, 2012

The Weaning Comedy

So we started the process of weaning.  I'll tell more about it on a separate post but on this post, I'm sharing my tragedy brought by weaning and pepper.   The title says comedy not tragedy, right?  Really, it's a tragedy but it's too surreal that I ended up laughing on me. On my stupidity, that is.

Hubby and I finally decided that we'll formally start the Little Spanish Pinay's weaning process.  I started thinking of ways to successfully do this.  I've been reading and nothing has really worked well for us.  So I finally resorted to my mom's old way - put something on the nipples to make it taste baaaad.

Still it was tricky because I couldn't really think of what spice or food to use. 

Garlic? Nah. LSP loves garlic. She eats a whole clove of pickled garlic, you know?

Onions perhaps? - yeah, no. She also eats onions. She especially loves those pickled baby onions in the jar.

Ginger? sounded promising. I did try. She made some faces, said blah! But proceeded with her normal business. Fail.
 
I desperately rummaged through my spice drawer and ding! Dried cayenne pepper.   Now, LSP has a relatively high tolerance on spicy food.  Relatively for kids her age, if I can make that clear.  She devoured one of those chocolate with chili brought to us by her godfathers when they visited Italy.  So I told myself cayenne pepper should do it.

 Dried cayenne pepper

I took a piece, run it down the faucet to wet, squeezed a bit and wipe it down the nipples. Then I thought I'm ready to face her. Until I felt the burning sensation. Then in panic, I tried to wash it down with water. Big mistake, people. Water DOES NOT help. It worsens the burning sensation! And man alive, IT. HURTS! For the life of me, I was in total lost of what to do.

By this time, I was already cyring in pain.  Hugging myself, I walked back and forth the hallway.  Hissing and ahhh-ing.  I sat down the foot of our staircase and desperately cried.  Poor hubby he didn't know how to help me.  He kept on telling me to try and wash it down.  With desperate tone I said I already tried and it just got worst.

You'd think that's the worst part?  No, missy, no.  Too annoyed of my own stupidity, I scratched my eyes and my whole face while wiping off the tears.  Suddenly I couldn't open my eyes.  You. have. got.to.be.kidding.me! Of course I touched my eyes with the very same hand I used to crush the pepper. 

I thought I was gonna go blind.

I was screaming and jumping.  And then I found myself slopping down the floor almost like a toddler with the meltdown at the middle of a supermarket. 

Hubby was like "what? what? what's happening with you?"

I'm like "My eyes! ahhhhh! my eyes!"

and he's like "what? what? what about your eyes????"

I'm like "My eyes! they're burning! I can't even open them!"

and then he's like "Try to open your eyes! open them!"

and I'm like  "Did I just tell you I CAN'T open them? How the hell would I open them if I can't open them???"

Gosh, I swear I felt like I was Larry from the Three Stooges.

Then I suddenly found myself laughing my heart out because of the total insanity of what I have just done to myself.   Totally a mess.

Good thing I remembered one of the episodes from Bones where Hodgins ate something really spicy and drank a glass of water but made the burning sensation even worse.  And Angela told him never drink water with spicy food.  Should be milk!

So the rest of my story was just hubby wiping my eyes with cotton soak into milk... and yes, I also wiped milk on my nipples that were still burning at that time.  That part, I did on my own... coz you know...

And in case you're wondering,  I did not use breastmilk. 

Come to thnk of it, I should have tried breastmilk.  Just to know, you know.

Fin.


19 comments:

  1. JAjajaja, lo siento, pero gracioso es, cómo se te ocurre!!!!jajaja. Suerte con el destete. Un besito

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very funny! well, I really don't know how to help, maybe your milk will just dried up one day or why not try to give her a bottle of milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure, a very real thing that can happen! Don't worry, you're not the only one. hehe I know some who experience the same tragedy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lhot... you wawa! Gosh, parang na-feel ko pain mo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha aliw! at least may comedy ang weaning process ni LSP =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're a good storyteller... I feel you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buti di pa nakadede baby mo at ang anghang pala. Dati nagyari namn sakin nilamutak ko talaga mga sili para lumabas buto pinaglalaruan ko kasi. Ayun pagkatapos kandaiyak ako sa sakit. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was funny and painful...:) good thing milk is around...:)


    xx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's ok. At least you learned what not to do. =)

    Btw, is it really true that kids have a high (medium) tolerance for anything spicy? I've been craving for curry for months but have been avoiding cooking it since I'm afraid the Little One might not take the spiciness. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was awefully painful, sorry can't help but laugh too hehe.. Yes, I agree milk does the job. I remember the day before I went to my friend's house to cook and eat Bicol Express, I reminded her to have me a cup of milk just in case ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh! what a story!! i grow to peppers in my garden and know how hot the seeds are...oouch!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Lakas ng tawa ko dito, sis! :) Sorry to hear it had to happen to you. but I'm glad you shared kasi... errr.. We're 3 years and 3 months.. and counting. Goodluck to us!

    Merry Christmas to your beautiful family :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wahahahahaa...kalowka! you make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ow! Ow! Ow! I can almost feel your pain! Thank goodness for TV shows. I also learned about milk and peppers watching cooking shows. kaloka ka!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! How come you didn't ask hubby to wipe your nippies wit milk? It should have healed faster. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh!!! Haha! Oh no... Thank heavens for milk! Na imagine kita and your hubby! Haha!

    Happy New Year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope it's not too late to wish you a happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I miss your posts. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a good story. Thank you for sharing. I hope all went well with the weaning process.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...