Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nothing Beats Bayanihan


A nice 2011 welcome for us. We won the contest held by our internet provider with the prize of none other than a 1-yr free subscription of 100mb fiber optics internet connection, cable and phone line. Thanks to the new fad in facebook where companies use its popularity for marketing. The contest consist of leaving a Christmas greeting in the facebook page of our internet provider and gathering the most "likes". Hubby and I read the rules of the contest over and over again to make sure we are not going to break any of them and would later on be disqualified. We've got a good feeling we have a big possibility in this contest. It started Dec 16 and we were just able to enter by Dec 28. Did I say we were hectic busy these past months weeks? Well, we were and still are (hence the scarcity of my posts). So in spite of the other participants having a big advantage already, we were still positive we are going to have a good fight.

So off we joined. At the time we joined, the person with the most "likes" has around 45 votes. So hubby and I thought ok, 45 votes is a piece of cake. In less than a day we got 60++ votes so the following day, hubby already got the top position. Naturally the one that was running first place before got ticked off. He tried to get more votes. With every 20 more votes he gets, we get 40 more votes. Hubby and I were so amazed with the power of connections in facebook. I sent private messages (I currently have 395 friends) to my friends as I didn't want to bombard the walls of my friends with a request to help us win the contest. Plus I believe it is more appropriate and more personal to do so. I also commanded asked my siblings to force ask their friends to vote for us. Hubby has 98 friends and did the same thing...sent privies to each of them. 

For about two weeks, we were leading by nearly 100 more votes than the second in ranking. So were kinda thinking ok, he has probably given up and just thought he'd never get near us. Did I say he was ticked off? That's an understatement. He was furious! He started commenting on the company's blog and facebook page about the first-in-the-rank's (hubby) fishy activity about getting votes. He was like "the leading has only 98 friends and yet he has 300++ votes already - something's going on" and "the leading has 90% votes coming from the Philippines which has nothing to do with the internet subscription here in Spain" and "what the heck, I'm losing". Well, not that latter but whatever he says, that's what he only sounds. I was so tempted to answer him back with a look-whos-talking kind of retaliation but I stopped myself. Hubby and I said we should not enter his game. 

Confident that we are leading for almost 100 or more so votes, we brushed off any kind of negative comments and just wait for the days to pass and for the contest to be over. Then one day before the contest is concluded, hubby checked how the scores are and was surprised that suddenly, the close opponent garnered a whopping 80++ votes overnight. We were suddenly about just 20 votes away from losing. Our heart skipped a beat. At this rate, if we don't do anything the opponent will totally overtake us. 

We're just one day away from winning this contest and we are determined not to lose this chance! I waited till the sun rises in the Philippines. I called home in Manila, asked my siblings and cousins to bully ask their frineds to vote us. Hubby and I stayed online to monitor the scores and I sent some more privies to ask other friends whom I haven't asked before to vote for us. I sent another messages to other friends who didn't respond to my first message (there are those who decided to totally ignore...which felt a little sad). I posted a cry for help in my wall for everybody to see (I finally gave in but I swear I posted just twice ot maybe three times so I wouldn't flood anyone's wall). We were so overwhelmed with the support. In total, we got 372 votes against 259. I was warmed by the friends and friends of friends' (and even friends-of-friends-of-friends) concern and willingness to help. This IS the bayanihan value of the Filipinos. Modern but same spirit.

The old bayanihan way

So the contest ended and we won the first prize. Our internet company has declared hubby as the winner and congratulated us. The twitter representative has been ultra nice to me...he has even followed up on me to ask how does the 100mb connection experience so far. Told him it is splendid and that after all the work (told him the 101nights story) and he said with all the work we've done to win the contest, then we really are the deserving winners. Isn't he the sweetest? He was also the one who gave me a free shirt for being the 101st follower in twitter! He's like a bestfriend!

I sent him this photo after receiving the gift:

I can't express more our gratitude to those who helped.  Thank you once again to everyone especially to those who made an effort to ask their friends to vote for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...