Friday, September 16, 2011

Uniform for Nannies?

I've seen them.  Nannies and helpers in uniform.  Maybe royalties or really rich families who have a number of nannies and helpers at home could see the benefit of having them in uniform (let's say because of a number of them at home, they want to make sure they can track them or identify them easily), I am not really sure it is necessary for normal families who has 1 or 2 nannies or helpers at home to be wearing uniform.  I feel like it's some sort of social status tripping.   

Yes, being a nanny and a helper is a profession and a respectable one at that.  And many other professions wear uniform like doctors, nurses, health aids, waiters, cooks, etc.  But in this, we go back to the idea like how it is with royal families or families of really high stature leaving in big manors with hundreds of helpers.  But of a normal family with one helper or nanny who stays with you at home, is it really necessary for them to use a uniform?  When I see a middle-class family out on a tour or a lazy walk, with the nannies tagged along in uniform,  it's like they're trying to tell the world they are so well-off they can afford themselves to hire someone who can "serve" them.  

The other day, while I was browsing some pictures from a social network, I've seen in one of the pictures  someone I personally know (very chic and always made up) having one of those normal walk in the park with her baby in a stroller being pushed by the obviously nanny - wearing a uniform.  I had to zoom in the picture 3 times and see if the nanny is really wearing a uniform.  Perplexed I was.  That is why I started having this thoughts about nannies, helpers and uniforms.  The question resonated in my mind.  What for?  Maybe to look more professional? To look cleaner?  There could be tons of reasons and perhaps many of them are valid... from where I stand? I just don't think it is necessary.

And it is sad because I've been seeing how nannies and helpers are being treated in some households and   I don't agree on many of them.  Not to mention being paid a measly salary.  Many would pay a very low salary and then expect that the nannies or helpers will be perfect in everything service related.  Tell me if there is no injustice there.

I do know of horror stories with some nannies BUT just because there are few who are probably disturbed, it doesn't warrant anyone to automatically treat the nannies or helper they'd hire as such.

Maybe I'm over analyzing things or maybe I am too cynical.  Maybe I am the one judging.  But  I sure wouldn't require our nanny to wear uniform.  

16 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Its not pleasant to see them on uniforms walking around with their 'feeling' so-richy royal family. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's because I don't move in the circles of people who have nannies, but I don't think they should be forced to wear uniforms at all. In fact, there are very few household staff members that should ever have to. I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to be a nanny and I would not wear a uniform. I think It's a little demeaning in the society we live in now and you're right It's not necessary. I have worked with some families that really just like people to know they have a nanny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do not have a nanny nor helper but if ever i will have one, i will not let them wear any uniform because i'm not rich. hehe!

    but some nanny and helper prefers to have uniform, they feel more professional and tipid din daw sa damit. =) there are some nannies kasi with pleasing personality so if ever ang amo ay hindi, at least madaling malaman ng tao kung sino ang nanny at amo if nanny will wear uniform. hihihi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't see nannies in uniform in the United States. Guess we are to casual here in the colonies. I agree with you though. I don't think it is necessary at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naku minsan kaartehan na lang din na pag uniform-in ang nanny. last month while eating sa fast food may isang family kumakain. lahat sila kumakain yung nanny na naka uniform di man lang nila sinabay kumain sa kanila nakatunganga lang. Sa loob loob ko, ano ba namn to! Ayaw ba nila na makasabay nila kumain ang nanny nakatingin lang sa kanila. Naawa tuloy ako.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes sad but true, in the Philippines it is sort of accepted to have a uniform for their own YAYAs.. makes me kinda embarassed as a society and how we have to flaunt the gap between rich and poor..how do we stop? i have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you. I think it is unnecessary to have a nanny wear a uniform. I used to know many families with nannies or house helpers and not all of them wore uniforms but most families loved to flaunt the fact that they had hired someone for helpt them in the domestic space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess those well off families just want to de-associate themselves with their helpers. I have never had my helper- past or present- wear a uniform. As much as possible, I make her feel part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, they're not necessary. We've never asked our help or nanny to wear one.
    But I know a family who has 2 nannies and they wore uniforms. I was able to ask them how they feel and they said they prefer to wear them, so that they can use their nice clothes when they go out. They said they don't mind as long as the family treats them well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i suddenly remember those days when we used to hang out in rockwell, makati (not because we're rich, nagkataong i had a friend who used to work around that area). there, talamak yung mga nanny na naka-uniform, as in OA, minsan nga bawat bata may yaya. hindi naman sa sinasabi kong masama na mag-uniform sila, but as you, i think hindi naman na kailangan pa yun. there are just some people here who like to flaunt, honestly i don't see the point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe some nannies want to wear uniforms- it saves their clothes on wear and tear! I know our employees have been wanting uniforms, and I couldn't figure out why!! How is your mom? have been praying for her. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess to each his own. We have a nanny who usually wears a uniform when we go out (the exceptions are when we travel to a cold place as her uniform isn't made for cold weather or a dusty place like the beach where her white uniform might get soiled) I find it simpler to have her wear a uniform then to check each time if her clothes are appropriate for the place, event, occassion etc.

    Our nanny eats the same food we eat and is treated as an equal member of the family. My wife and I are pretty low maintenance, we do our own chores (or rather I do more than my wife does hahaha) and don't expect our nanny to do it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It has bothered me for some time, too. 3 years ago, we had a nanny who dressed more sophisticatedly then me. She'd wear light, party-like tops with super mini skirts. It came to a point that my relatives noticed and told me. Well, I'm more comfy with jeans and a tee (especially for casual family get togethers) and never considered changing my wardrobe. I did consider getting her a uniform but decided against it realizing I may do her more harm from another perspective. For me, its not about alienating our nannies but more of encouraging them to wear clean and simple clothes. A lot of ladies look more beautiful when they dress simply. But they don't know that unless you tell them. So, every time we get a new nanny (been pretty unlucky since last year), we hold monthly meetings to checkup on expectations from each other as well as do's and don'ts in and out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our helpers have different takes on that, actually. Our long time helper does not want to, but the relatively new ones want to. They actually like wearing a uniform, excited even. The topic came up months ago when we had a new helper (who eventually bailed because she said Raviv was so heavy) who used to work for a rich family in Makati. She came here with only a few clothes, thinking we'd provide her uniforms. She asked us to buy, but my husband did not want to. He said it is degrading, as he wants our helpers to be treated like family. And family members do not wear uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My yaya wears a uniform and she is very appreciative of it. When she first arrived we didn't mind that she wore casual clothes in the house and when we got out but we eventually noticed that she repeatedly wore her clothes and they were starting to smell and look tatty. So I gave her some of my daughter's better hand me downs and gave her some clothes for her birthday and Christmas. I was surprised that she did not wear these but continued to wear her old ones. I found out that she treasured her new clothes and wanted to wear them on her days off only. I broached the subject of her wearing a uniform and she embraced it. For her, it saves her clothes from deteriorating due to frequent washing and she does not have to buy casual clothes for her work anymore. Now, even our other house helpers are asking for uniforms because they want to "save" their clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...