Sunday, January 22, 2012

Best of the Breast: The best alliance on a looong air travel with a toddler

 Anxieties struck me before our planned travel to the Philippines back in December last year.  As it was our first time to travel with a toddler (a high-demand toddler, not to mention), I really didn't know what to expect.  Actually, I have been expecting it to be daunting and nerve breaking because I thought our little one would get bored or scared or would be too uncomfortable, etc. But I was wrong (thank God).  The whole trip was smooth in general especially while we are in the aircraft.  The longest flight we had was a 15-hour flight from Paris to Hongkong and during that whole time, Little Spanish Pinay was sleeping if not walking around or playing or reading or singing with us.  She rarely fuzzed.  

 
That's right... at one time, she preferred the cart over her stroller or the baby sling

I tried to pack enough entertainment for her as well as fun food.  But what really helped us a lot, is that fact that she is still breastfeeding.  I didn't have to bring bottles and formula and water.  That's a big convenience because we already have heavy carry-ons so being able to omit things to bring is a big help.  Plus, there's no need to prepare the bottle every time she wants to be fed.  Milk is ready and fresh and warm just the perfect way every time she asks for it.  The most important of all? It really helped her not to suffer from ear popping because of the pressure during landings and take off. 

Learning the cabin's safety instruction

zonked

Thinking about all these, confirms my thoughts that we shouldn't consider weaning yet.  Consider, I say? Yes weaning is knocking in my door of thoughts these days.  Getting persistent even.  But that's requires a whole different entry as it's a long  and winding road.

12 comments:

  1. Hi! I breastfed my son for 11 months but it was the most inconvenient way to breastfeed! Unfortunately when i started feeding him, it was excruciating and I wanted to quit. My husnabd di not allow me and I went to a higher authority, God. I asked, "May i quit?" and right away, the answer came from the radio I was listening to. The DZFE announce said, "God doesn't like quitters!" So i din't quit! But I would manually express my milk and freeze it. Then we would have to heat it to feed Josh. When we went out, I would bring the milk in a cold container, and I also had a thermos to heat it!! Good thing I always brought a yaya to carry all of that!!! On the 11th month I developed mastitis and the doctor said I had to stop breastfeeding! Halleluia!!! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congratulations on those 11 months! I'm sorry though that it has been really tough for you. But know that you had done what you thought is best for your kid plus you knew God has guided you on your decision :)

      Delete
  2. so true. breastfeeding is convenient and clean pa.

    Thinking Out Loud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, although I'm still set (for now) to start weaning the little one off the bottle once she reaches 1. Unfortunately, I was not able to breastfeed her continuously and she's used to the bottle now at only 6 months. Nothing against those who choose to avoid weaning off their children for a few more months but we feel it would be best to teach her that there are alternatives too. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always mix both bottle and breastfeeding :) But each to his own and you as her mom knows what's better for her ;-) Bottle feeding has it's share of convenience too especially when you are in public and you are just not comfortable about breastfeeding in public.

      Delete
  4. Awww, ang sweet ni Tala. Ang sarap talaga nilang panoorin matulog =)
    Yup, it's great when they're being breastfed lalo na on flights. Ang best friend ko nun was yung gift sa akin na cover - para kahit anong posisyon pa gusto ni Poj sa pagdede. He stopped when he was 2 & that was him who did that. And happy kami kasi wala ng iyakan blues coz he it was him who stopped it.
    You're doing great sis =) And we could tell she's a happy and content little princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to have that nursing cover too pero ang kuripot ko, so in the end, nde na ako bumili haha. At the beginning kung anu-ano imbento ko to cover up pero in the end, wala nang paki LOL

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a smooth trip...the boob is the best pacifier of them all =) very convenient indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i breastfed my firstborn until his 18th month (now 5 years old), my second-born until his 16th month (now 26 months old)... And all those years, we had been traveling, too. i weaned only when they were ready:-)... like you i'm into attachment parenting... glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow 15 hour flight at well behaved ang supercute baby! Nalibang siguro sa pagbabasa ng safety instructions. lol! gawain ko kasi yun ang magbasa ng paulit ulit ng safety instruction. haha!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...