Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Air Travel with a Toddler: My Own Experience

Remember I posted this when we were still preparing for our first-long-flight-with-a-toddler going to the Philippines.  I meant to write different tips air travel with a toddler but my schedule just went crazier and crazier juggling my time between work, home and taking care of a toddler and a hubby.  Also, in the end, I just stopped fretting over it.  I convinced myself that whatever happens, we'll do just fine. 

And of course we were just fine.

Little Spanish Pinay did very well especially on the long flight.  She slept like a winner and played/watched her videos while awake.  She rarely fuzzed but her play included walking back and forth along the airplane's  aisle.  She's one curious little girl.  She look at each person in the seats then walk away then back and look.  She also liked passing through where the WCs are even where the cabin crew prepare the food.  She wanted to explore on everything.  Result? Mami got really tired.  She'd rarely want papi to go with her so most of the time, it's mami going after her.  She'd ask for papi only when she feels like watching her video.  She's all comfy and calm sitting on his lap.

So what did we finally decide on whether to bring just the baby sling or just the stroller.  At the beginning we were sold on just bringing the sling but I don't know what happened suddenly, hubby was so adamant on the idea that it will be better if we bring a stroller.  And so we did.   We used the stroller for some moments and it did help but LSP had other idea than staying in the stroller while we were going mobile throughout the airport.  She wanted mami's arms most of the time.  It helped though that she's already walking and loved to explore so there were times as well that she'd walk.  She especially liked the walkalator!


So what's the verdict on the stroller? It can be useful but not a necessity. In our case we especially put it to good use because we were able to use it as a cart for our fully-packed-shoulder-breaking personal bags. Since we don't get to travel often to my native land, we make sure we maximize all our luggage capacity both check-in and hand-carry.  You know, we gotta stock up on those sinigang, kare-kare mix, nagaraya, noodles, etc!

About the baby sling? It has become her enemy now. Sigh.  She didn't want to get even near it the whole flight except during our last leg of flight coming back here.  I asked her fervently for us to use the baby sling because mami's arm is going to break apart already.  I don't know if she understood my plea or she took pity of my best-actress-poor-me-look in my face, but she agreed to be carried on our baby sling.

Oh, I have to give one important tip for travelling with a toddler (especially if your toddler is a girly-girl who loooves the idea of her looking pretty)..... bring some of these!

click here for image source

Just look at her enjoying her beauty session:

I swear that kept her still and quiet for a good long of time.  From time to time though, she'd call me and say "Mami, mami! Tala guapa!" to tell me to look at her because she's pretty.

17 comments:

  1. Jajajaj, para comértela con patatas! Vaya mega viaje!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mega super viaje! 20 y pico horas ida, y otro 20 y pico horas para la vuelta... ufff! Pero merece la pena, eso si!!! :-D

      Delete
  2. Wow, she is getting so big! To bad she wouldn't let you use the sling. They are such handy and lightweight things. I'm so glad to hear that the flight wasn't to stressful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! the sling has been a big help to me since she was 4 months old but I think she has started to outgrow it :(

      The flight has its own contribution to stress heh heh but it wasn't so bad like I've been anticipating :)

      Delete
  3. Didn't she cry when the pressure popped inside her ears? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we were saved from the woes of a toddler wailing because of ear popping. I'd breastfeed her during take off and landing. Most of the time she'd fall asleep or she'd just keep on nursing. She never had problem with ear pressure thanks to las boobies LOL

      Delete
  4. I remember Kelly's first domestic flight. We didn't bring a stroller or a sling, so it was so much of a hassle! We were lucky to have very helpful passengers with us. They were gracious enough to help us carry our bags. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, people at the airport are normally really nice to passengers with little ones tagged along :)

      Delete
  5. you survived it!! what's next?? where to? or still recovering from this one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yey, we did!! you bet we're still recovering from this one... more on pocketwise hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe! Enjoy na enjoy sya sa pagli lipstick! Sarap din namn kasi at sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hay anney, nde ko alam san natuto.. I'm not into lipstick naman! haha.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, that must have been a very long flight. But it looks like LSP did great on the trip. It's not easy to travel with a toddler or small kiddos. Not even the grocery store let alone a long trip like that. She was one great trooper. Well, it's great to read more about you again. Hope to read more about your vacation and your family.
    By the way, I updated my button and web site. My new web address is http://www.spanish4kiddos.com
    Hope you have a great weekend,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again, Barbara! Thanks for dropping by... see you around on your blog too ;-)

      I'll definitely update my blog with your new button and oh, congratulations on your new website... that's great!

      Delete
  9. Im glad it all went well. Ang cute ni tala, very curious talaga. Kami we the stroller was usefull coz poj wasnt walking then. So we really have to strap him especially at the airport when we're rushing to catch our connecting flight. But now that he's bigger his Trunkie suitcase will do.
    Tala is super pretty talaga. I love her smile & her twinkling eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time we visit pinas, I'll look into a trunkie case din siguro for Tala.. I've heard good reviews about :)

      Sabi ni Tala: "Gracias, tita Krissy!" :-D

      Delete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...