Monday, January 30, 2012

She's ready...

Ok, I was writing a different post but I just had to stop and start on this one.  Right at this moment, our Little Spanish Pinay is inside a daycare (sort of) in the country club near our place.  The have this facility where we can leave kids from 2 yrs to 6 yrs for an hour and a half while parents do their thing - like going to the gym, swimming, etc.  We thought it's really a good idea but we were kind of hesitant about because she has never been to a daycare and is practically always with one of us and we aren't sure how she'd react in a place totally new to her with kids and an adult totally strangers to her. 

But we thought we'll give it a try.  In any case, she's still 3 months away from 2yrs old so most probably they'd just ask us to wait till then.  We dropped by the area and we showed LSP the little kids playing inside the daycare.  She immediately wanted to go in.  The lady noticed us so she opened the door and asked us what she can do for us.  We told her that we were just checking out the place and that we'd love for our little one to try out the place but she's still 3 months away from 2 yrs old.  The lady told us we can try and see how she'll do since we can pull her out anytime if we see that she's having a hard time adopting.

The rest happened so fast and so emotional for me.  LSP entered the room without looking back.  She walked in slowly, looking around carefully studying the area and the kids then looking at the care giver.  She has a serious face but very keen and curious.  She looked back by the door as if looking for me but I quickly hide then I already expected a loud squeal of mami!!!.  It didn't happen.  Everything was really emotional for me, I couldn't help but choke on a few tears.  She's there spreading her wings on her own... she doesn't need me anymore!
she's very attentive to her seño (short for señorita - the way kids call their care give or lady professors)

Started to move around the room and observe what's going on

 
Parents are actually asked to leave the area but since it is LSP's first time here, we were allowed to stay.  I tried not to peek too much but I can't really help it.  While I have been composing this post, I have glanced at the window and checked for LSP a hundred times.  My neck is already strained.  And every time, every time I see her, she's attentively listening to the care giver or looking at the kid on her side.  She's seated on a chair within a table with the rest of the kids. After a while, I saw her walk toward the end of the room and sat herself on the floor beside a boy about her age too.  She's making friends.  They're chatting.  She's playing with them.  She's sharing toys.  She's a real trooper. 



She has totally mingled and found some good buddies

After an hour so, the kids started to be picked up by their parents... it was almost 8pm.  We came in a little earlier than 7pm so LSP has been inside the daycare around an hour or so.  When the door opened, LSP caught a glimpse of her papi and immediately ran towards him to tell all the fascinating stories.  She was so happy she didn't know where to start.  The care giver told us she did really well and seeing how she behaved and liked the place, we can be rest assured that she'll be just fine.  She also told us that if we didn't tell her that she has never been to any day care, she would imagine that she's been in a daycare for at least 6 months already with the way LSP assimilated everything. 

I can't just be any more proud of her right now.  We haven't considered sending her to daycare anytime soon just yet although we are getting some pressures from the family already as everybody thinks that sending a 2yr old to daycare is the best and is the ONLY way for them to be able to learn how to socialize.  I disagree.  That's not the topic of this post though... Anyways, I still prefer our current arrangement right now... me being able to see her everyday the whole day while I work.  But when the time comes that we do see the need for her to go to preschool, I think she'll be ready.  Mami is not.  Sob.

10 comments:

  1. Aw that must be hard! I usto be a nanny and I really enjoyed taking care of kids, so much joy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'd really love to have a daycare of my own - if I only I have the resources, I may switch job! :)

      Delete
  2. oh wow your baby girl is getting bigger and now she goes to daycare! milestone moment right there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she's growing fast like a weed! She's not going to daycare yet but it seems like she likes the idea :)

      Delete
  3. It will come the day when she'll start kindergarten and you'll be sobbing because it finally hits you that your little girl is no longer little but growing into a precious human being. Wait till she graduates and gets married, you'll be crying forever :) just kidding, great post and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not have a child of my own but I have pamangkins that I literally take care when they were young. I can relate to your feeling, and decision. One thing for sure parents are always right. You are on the right track ^_^ Happy Monday!
    Kim, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! I hope you had a happy monday too ;-) weekend is just around the corner yay!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness...what a moving post!
    Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story...it will be so helpful for others who are hesitating about leaving their children with someone other than close family.

    There is no right or wrong decision about daycare...it is what is best for you and your child and your situation. If a parent prefers to keep a child home and is willing to provide great activities and spend quality time with her, that is the perfect choice. I kept mine home...but I also operated a home daycare after leaving teaching to raise my own children. Perhaps this facility will provide just the right amount of socialization and getting used to school routines that your little one needs.
    So glad it went well...and yes, you are right, she will probably be ready before you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivian! Definitely, whatever decision we make about daycare is what we know is the best for our kids... each family has different circumstances and needs :) I would love to operate a daycare of my own too... I always daydream about that! Lucky you :)

      Delete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...