Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Fun Food: Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Crumble


Vegetarians, this is for you! Meat lovers who also love veggies, this one is also for you!  I swear, with this recipe, you wouldn't miss not having meat to accompany these veggies!

I love veggies but I normally would want it accompanied by even just a little meat. But when I tried this recipe, it didn't matter that it has zero meat in it. It was DELISH! It's all veggies but doesn't mean low in calories though... It has bechamel sooooo I need not say more.

Since I was really surprised of how it turned and hubby and I reaaally loved it, I decided to do it again and this time, I'd like to share it.  The recipe I used is for Thermomix but I believe it can be done perfectly without it.  A food processor or grinder can help though.

So, here we go.

Ingredients:
     For the crumble:
          30g Cashew
          Fresh parsley
          50g grated cheddar cheese  (I used matured cheddar cheese but any type should be ok)
          50g oatmeal (I used quick cooking but I believe it doesn't matter)

     Veggies:
          Water
          350g cauliflower
          350g Broccoli
          Salt

     For the bechamel
          30g olive oil extra virgin
          50g butter
          60g flour
          500g milk
         100g grated cheddar cheese
         1 tsp of Dijon mustard
         1/2 tsp of salt
         Pinch of freshly ground pepper
         Pinch of nutmeg

Instructions:

1. Prepare the crumble. Using food processor or grinder, process/grind the cashew until it becomes into small tidbits. You'd want to have nice little chunks and not a fine powdered cashew. No food processor? nor grinder?  Do it tradditional way. Use mortar and pestle or put the cashew inside a bag and pound it using rolling pin or even a strong glass bottle.

2. Chop the parsley and mix it with ground cashew. Mix in the oatmeal and the grated cheddar cheese. Mix well then set aside.


The crumble

3. Wash and cut the broccoli and cauliflower and steam for about 20mins.  You can also boil it if preferred but steaming is a healthier option.


4. Make the bechamel: Pour the olive oil in a heated sauce pan and add the butter. Stir until the butter is all melted. Put in the flour little by little and stir continuously until the mixture becomes homogenous. 

5. Slowly pour in milk while stirring (Bechamel is a lot of stirring so have patience. But it's all worth it I promise). You might need to try and press the lumps of flour to help blend it in well. Then pour in the rest of the ingredients: cheese, nutmeg, dijon mustard, ground black pepper and salt. Keep stirring until the whole mixture becomes thick and perfectly homogenous.   This is nice workout for your arm ;-)   See, this ingredient is really healhty.

Thermomix can really come in handy on this part as it will do the stirring for me. You get a perfect bechamel.

6. Put the broccoli and cauliflower in a glass baking pan, season it with salt according to your taste.


7.  Pour in bechamel on top of the brocolli and cauliflower



8.  Sprinkle the crumble on top.



9. Put the whole thing inside a pre-heated oven to 180 degrees celsius and bake for 20mins

Beautiful!
The result is this! And did I say it's delish?

It is good as appetizer if you will be serving more than 4 people but it can also be served perfectly as main dish.  The recipe says this is good for 6 servings - I say it can be galped down by 4 people easily :-D

Ok wait, I gotta tell a secret. The pictures of the recipe here is from the second time I did the recipe and I was out of cashew... the other choices I have in my kitchen were peanuts, pistachios, walnuts, macadamia nut and in the end, I chose pistachios but left out the parsley. I thought pistachios already have a distinct taste so parsley might not be a good match for it. The result? Superb!

So you can even change what the crumble contains but I must say the oatmeal is a must and a very healthy option :) 

Enjoy and happy almost-weekend!!

11 comments:

  1. mukha naman ang sarap nyan:)galing mo talagang magluto:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2 favorite veggies! Will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent way to get my daughter to eat broccoli! That looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, looks easy and scrummy! Thanks sis. Will give this a go and would tell you how it went. I'll make sure I buy these veggies on our next grocery shopping =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dang i would have wanted to try this but i hate cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mukhang masarap ah! If only...if only hindi bawal sa akin ang ma-uric na pagkain hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mukhang ang sarap nga ah! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love broccoli and cauliflower kaya ita try ko ito!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very delicious and crunchy. I love the pistachios idea in your dish. But I would have to be careful with my little kiddo even trying this dish because of nuts. But still yummy for mom and dad :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...