Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Fiber-packed Yummy Crackers - what else can you ask for?

This is what I love about blogging.  One can get inspired in so many ways and learn about so many things.  It's like travelling the world!

A long time friend has started blogging, yay! as I visited her blog, I came across one Mia who posted a recipe inspired by another blogger, Faith.  The wonderful recipe is for making a homemade rosemary crackers.  Ah, I love crackers.  In the Philippines, we have a lot of different crackers with different flavors and I love of them.  As I stumble upon this post I immediately said I must do this.

For one, it is healthy, easy to make and the ingredients are all available in my kitchen.  Plus, I was hoping the little one who needs a lot of fiber would love this.  Then I know I can play with the ingredients using different flavor, etc.  But for the first time trying this, I followed the original recipe.  I was too excited, I did this the following day after I read the blog :-D

So, below is how I followed Faith's recipe :)

Ingredients:


  • 1/2 cup of oats





  • 1/2 cup of almond meal*





  • ~tablespoon of rosemary (dried or fresh)





  • 1/4 teaspoon salt





  • 3 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese





  • 1-2 tablespoons water (I ended up using 3 tablespooons water)




  • I used toasted almonds because it's what I have in my kitcchen.  The recipe calls for 1/2 cup almonds meal so I just put the peeled almonds in my measuring cup.. I let it overflow and then processed it.

    Until it looks like this.  Maybe a few more seconds of processing wouldn't hurt.

    Then the oatmeal. I used the traditional one.  Processed it until there's no more whole grain.

    I used matured cheese. If you live in a country like I do that uses grams instead of ounces, 3 ounces is about 85 grams. I used about 95 grams of cheese. I love cheese! I grated these babies and mixed put together with the rest of the ingredients.

    Then I just mixed all the other ingredients minus the water.


    I slowly added the water while the blades are spinning.  I ended up using 3 tablespoon of water.  I think the consistency was just right.

    Sorry I didn't have a photo of the dough after it was processed but it's very similar to what Faith has:

    Only that mine looks finer. I think I processed the oats and the almonds too finely.
    Then I put it on a baking sheet ocvered with parchment paper.  I flattened it a little bit with my palm and then covered it with another parchment paper then proceeded to flatten it even more with a rolling pin. My rolling was too big though for my baking sheet and it's just couldn't roll on all sides so I ditched the rolling pin and took a round glass and used it instead.  After working on it for some minutes, I think it turned out fine.

    It is important to make sure that dough is evened out well otherwise, it will not get cooked evenly. Like what happened to mine.  Part of it got burned more than the other parts.  See, I was to in a hurry to get it done... patience is a virtue I must remind myself a little more often.


    Put it in the oven preheated to 350ºF or 180ºC and cook for about 15-20 mins.  15mins is too short for me.  The dough was still soft to touch so, I added 2mins then added another 4 minutes which I think is too much.  It does seem like my crackers were cooked more than it should but they're still good anyways.  Next time I do this,  I'll probably let it sit in the oven for 18mins tops.  Then let it cool and see if it will harden more.

    The output!!

    Sorry I don't have a nice presentation like Faith and Mia does as I am kind of multitasking when I was doing this yummy crackers.  But I swear on my long beautiful legs (I kid!) that they are really good!

    They also taste really nice with cream cheese, marmalade, peanut butter!
    Experiment with them! Experiment with the ingredients!  You can use other herbs, lemon zest, maybe other dried fruit similar to almonds?  Use your favorite cheese! Doesn't have to be only cheddar.  Next time I will try to use local cured or semi-cured local cheese here.  Spain has a lot of yummy type of cheese :)



     Go ahead, try this - there'll be no regrets. 

    27 comments:

    1. Replies
      1. I actually found Mia on your blog, thanks to you! :)

        Delete
    2. I'd love to try baking but I know I have to follow everything to the letter (in terms of measurement and procedure), which I couldn't so I settled on just buying from the nearest store...hehe!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I had that impresssion too at the beginning...I just dared to start baking very very recently. You just have to try it and you'll see there are simple baking recipes that doesn't need a pro's skills and strict implementation :)

        Delete
    3. Replies
      1. you gotta! just do not do as I did hehe I kind of overbaked the crackers :)

        Delete
    4. Hey those look yummy piled up on the plate :) Perfect TV snack!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Would like to try your recipe! Hope my little Raine will like it too!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Worth trying, mukhang masarap sis! Hope my little dynamo will like it too!

      ReplyDelete
    7. this looks so yummy...wihs to try this one of these days...countdown to spain na si ako...i ma quite excited! lol..

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. oh wow! are you passing by Galicia? :)

        Delete
    8. how i wish i can visit galicia..pero parang medyo malayo ata sa Madrid..sis...i will try and see..how long it is by train from madrid..

      Ruby

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Madrid is far from here :( train would take about 11hrs! while bus is 7-8hours. But there are low cost planes also. Sometimes when you chance upon some promotion the bus fare and the air fare are just practically the same.

        Delete
    9. Wow! I love that you always try things out & share it here =)
      I'll put this down on my "to try list" =) Thanks.
      I love blogging for the same reasons, galing no?

      I'm interested to know yung sagot sa tanong ni Redruby. Gaano nga ba kalayo ang Galicia sa Madrid? =)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. kristeta, ayan nireply ko na ang layo ng madrid to galicia. Teka, sumisingit si hubby, hindi daw aabot ng 8 hours by bus.. 6hrs lang daw by bus hehe.

        I love to try things out! Pero yung madadali lang at kaya ng little extra mami time ko haha!

        Delete
    10. Oh wow, thanks for the mention! Glad you mentioned Faith too though because I can't take credit for the recipe :) I find that mine always gets more toasted on the sides too. I try to prevent that my rotating my baking sheet once or twice during baking - and luckily this recipe is not a delicate cake that requires you to keep the oven door shut the entire time, so opening the door to rotate it is ok. I find that sometimes my oven heating can be uneven. Hope that helps!

      I bet these crackers would taste AMAZING with Manchego cheese! Unfortunately, the Manchego I find here is not as great as what I've tasted directly from Spain.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I rotated mine too! still got more burnt on one side.. but later on I realized it is because that part is thinner than the rest... so flattening the dough evenly is really the key I believe.

        I am sure it will taste good with any cheese. You know what reminds me of these crackers? Sunflower biscuits back from Pinas. You remember that? :-D Only that these ones are tastier and healthier!

        Delete
      2. Oh my goodness - Sunflower crackers! Blast from the past, haha! But yes, these are definitely healthier :)

        Agreed - I noticed the same with mine (sides thinner than the middle). Another time I used a rolling pin instead of my hands to try to make it more even.

        Trial and error in the kitchen is so much fun... ;-)

        Delete
    11. I really admire the way you write your blog. very honest and you have a very wide range of vocabulary. Although andyan ka at you are speaking spanish everyday, still you are very fluent in english. ako, minsan nagkakabaliktad na dahil sa kasasalita ng norwegian everyday. hi, hi. Anyway, there is no harm in trying:) I have so much to learn from the young ones like you. happy to get to know you:)

      ReplyDelete
    12. Oh, how I wanted to try this! But have to wait until I get myself those baking equipment! =)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Can't wait to hear from you till you get to try these. It's addicting I am getting fidgety in fact about making another batch and with different flavor :-D

        Delete
    13. That looks like so much work for crackers! :). It looks yummy though, and I love cream cheese! My, you are so talented...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. noooo, it's really easy, I promise. Much easier than baking a cake or a cupcake! and here's a secret of mine... I don't do difficult haha! (if I do, very, very, very rarely)

        Delete
    14. Looks like graham. Visiting Krizzy and your blog always makes me crave for food. I wish I have a talent like that, turning just about anything into delicious mouth watering meals.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. looks like graham kasi mejo ata natutong haha. pero with rosemary and cheddar cheese, they taste like sunflower biscuits! :-D

        Delete

    Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...