Friday, May 20, 2011

Moist Banana Cake

We had some over ripe bananas in the fridge so I decided to make some banana cakes.  I found this nice easy to follow recipe so off I said to another baking self-lesson.

Yesterday afternoon, as soon as I finished work, I went and started the work.  I was really anxious about finishing it before hubby comes home but then again I realized I don't have enough bananas.  I didn't want it to lack with "banana taste" so I just waited for hubby so we can all go out and buy more bananas.  Bad thing is that batter was already done.  I thought it won't hurt if I let it sit there for some hours before putting it in the oven.

Alas, it was already past 11pm and still I wasn't able to put it in the oven as we had to do some impromptu errands, then had dinner with my inlaws and finally came home late at night already.  So I just gave up on it and decided to put the batter in the fridge.

Then I wonder if it will be alright so I digged over internet if batters for cake can stay overnight and still give good results.  What do I know... almost every baking experts says that batters shouldn't be set aside without baking it for more than an hour... let along overnight! My heart sank.  But there's no way I'll throw that batter away so I just slept with a sunken heart and a little hope that my banana cake the following day will be still be ok.

So the next day came and over my lunch time, I mashed some more bananas and mixed it with the batter that was put in the fridge overnight and sprinkle a dash of baking soda - I did t his because people say cakes that were set aside overnight doesn't rise enough.  I was able to half-fill 2 bundt pan and then place them inside the oven with my fingers crossed.

The timer finally set off and imagine my grin from ear to ear when they turned out quite well... at leaset they looked good. They did rise enough.  I am not sure if it is because I sprinkled a little baking soda or maybe they'd rise anyways without additional baking soda.

Banana cake fresh from the oven

One interesting trick that was mentioned in the recipe I followed, is to put the cake inside the freezer for 45 mintues right after it was taken out from the oven. This is supposed to make the cake really moist. I was kind of doubtful about it thinking that process might hurt my freezer.  You know,  how our moms tell us never to put food that is still hot in the fridge? Then much less in the freezer!  Incidentally, my lunch time was over so I had to go back to work. So I just left the pans inside the oven with the door slightly open (so they won't get burned since the oven is still hot).  Right after I was done with work, I took the pans (the were still hot) and wrapped them with cling wrap and popped them in the fridge. 

Ready to freeze!

I set the timer to 45mintues and right after it set off, I took out the banana cake and tried it... it was sumptous! It wasn't cold at all.  It was really soft and moist. 
Sliced!

I topped it with a little cream cheese frosting that was a left over from the green velvet cupcakes I recently did and enjoyed it with my Little Spanish Pinay and hubby.


Ready to be chowed

She's one serious critic

21 comments:

  1. I have never tried banana cake with cream cheese before :) but it sure looks good from :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that really looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really did read the way you bake your banana cake, good thing it still resulted well even it was not done the same day you wanted it to be done. I guess you had a yummy fun time with that and your kid as well. Thank you for visiting me here My Little Home, do you mind to visit me at SAHM’s Online Diary as well? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and the nice
    comments. Mamaw

    www.itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girl is adorable! I love love love your header picture!

    I'm following you through the voiceboks blog hop. I am currently running my very first giveaway for a baby blanket. I would love if you would enter. I hope you'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip. Try ko yan minsan pag nag bake din akong banana cake. Thanks for following my blog. Followed too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love banana cake and yours look awesome! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. See you round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banana Bread is one of my favorites. Your daughter is adorable.

    New follower from the Bee Friendly Hop.

    Amber Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the recipe - I love banana cake:) When I make it at home, I often add a bit of natural yoghurt to the mixture - makes it nice & moist. Your pics look great:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love banana cake and yours looks really yummy! I'm from the Philippines and when I saw your blog name I visited right away! What part of Spain do you live? My son is going to World Youth day this August. Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want that for breakfast! Thanks for stopping by my blog praisesofawifeandmommy.blogspot.com

    I am a new follower! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I JUST LOVE banana cakes!!!
    I had to get the recipe from an American friend!!
    Impossible to find in Italy! :))

    I am here through the blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banana cake with cream cheese frosting is a delightful dessert! I'm craning it! Thanks for following from vB! I'm glad to be following you back.
    Becky Jane
    http://riseaboveyourlimits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there! Found you through Marlee. You immediately caught my attention. Now, I'm following your blog. Proud Pinay rin ako!
    WordsAndPen

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great! Hi! Following you from the Magnificent Monday blog hop! Hope you visit my Cajun blog and return the follow!
    - Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The banana bread looks wonderful. I love banana bread, and will soon be trying out some muffins.


    Following you from the Monday blog hop.

    Elizabeth @http://ithappensatdinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmmm my mouth is watering!

    Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comments on my wine cork monogram. You just have to have up now...it's going to be tough work to drink all that wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks.. love kids, moms and baking too! hope u could follow back :) http://singlemomandbabydeluxe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. banana cake is my favorite! i hope i can make one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this looks so yummy.
    Today I'm visiting from VoiceBoks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also make banana cake because we have tons of banana here in the farm :) Sometimes they just get bad because we have too many.

    Btw, your daughter is a cutie pie :)

    Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! I'd love to read them! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...